2 Days in Uzes - day trip from uzes

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2016, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi I have two days in uzes in May. Are there any nearby villages to see and that are easy to get to by bus/walk?

Are there any recommended wineries or lunch spots in the country side?

I am in Uzes on a Saturday and Sunday.
Old Apr 12th, 2016, 07:03 AM

Trying to get around by bus isn't the easiest due to schedules and long trips. Uzes doesn't even have a train station, it isn't that convenient as a base if you don't even have a car.

There are numerous bus lines that go through Uzes, though, so many places you can go. HEre is the website, you can look at the bus line map.
http://www.edgard-transport.fr

Of course you can take a bus to Nimes or Avignon, but those aren't really villages.

It isn't clear to me if you've ever visited Uzes or not, I'm guessing not. If so, I would suggest it more fruitful to just stay in Uzes for 2 days, might be more interesting than some of the nearby villages within walking distance. If you want to walk to one, I'd suggest St Quentin-la-Poterie, about 6 km away, at least it has a few shops and is know for its pottery. Saint Siffret is a bit closer, but doesn't have anything in it, not even a cafe or bakery AFAIK nor any sites open to tourists (its chateaux are not), but if you just want to go for a walk and look at some stone buildings and a cute village, etc., it's attractive enough.
Old Apr 12th, 2016, 07:05 AM

Just 4 km north of Uzes is the village of St Quentin le Poterie, which hosts a variety of ceramic artists and ateliers. Their market day is Friday and Uzes market day is Saturday. The creativity is excellent if a bit artsy.
I'm not familiar with bus schedules but I'm sure you are aware of the nearby Pont du Gard as well as the water source for the aqueduct which is near Uzes and can be explored.
A recent post had a good experience with Le Tracteur which is a restaurant in the countryside near to Uzes---we intend to try it for a lunch next month.
Old Apr 12th, 2016, 03:47 PM

The Uzès market on Saturday is a lot of fun.

It looks like the Edgard bus goes to both St. Quentin-la-Poterie and Lussan, both of which I would recommend (and both well known for their pottery) but both are very quiet on Sundays, nothing much open.

If you stay in Uzès on Sat., you could do the Pont du Gard on Sun. Or do the villages on Sat. afternoon, although the buses are primarily for students so perhaps the schedule is not so convenient for the weekends.

I love Uzès, but getting around the countryside is difficult w/o a car.
Old Apr 13th, 2016, 12:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your insight.

I have never been to uzes before. On Saturday I intend to stay in town and do the markets.

On Sunday I will look into both lussan and Quentin la poterie. I really just want to enjoy the countryside and small villages.

On Sunday night I would like to eat at artemise.

Before Uze I am in Avignon and after uzes I go to Aix for 3 days.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. I will look at the bus schedule too.

Do you recommend any wineries?

Thanks!
Old Apr 13th, 2016, 09:21 AM

I lived in Uzes for 6 weeks without a car. Bus to Nimes is best service though I'm not sure about Sunday. I'd definitely stay in Uzes on Saturday for market. There are good walking trails around Uzes which you might want to do on Sunday after a nice lunch. Also, as someone suggested, Pont du Gard on Sunday would be nice and there is a bus that stops there. Pay attention to holidays in May as there are several and public transport is very poor on holidays.
Old Apr 13th, 2016, 09:28 AM

I would think you would want to see the Pont du Gard. We went to Uzes for part of the day and LOVED the pottery.
Old Apr 13th, 2016, 10:41 AM

>>On Sunday I will look into ..... Quentin la poterie<<

We purchased a set of 6 large plates and 6 smaller ones here
http://www.poteriegaltie.com/

Their factory & main showroom is closed Sat & Sunday. They have a small boutique in town - but my guess is that it is closed on Sunday - and perhaps others are also. We spent 2 weeks in a gite just outside of Uzes - and poterie is the main (perhaps only) reason to visit St Quentin.

Stu Dudley