2 days in switzerland, but don't know where. :D

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2011, 04:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be hitting Zurich on the 19th of Nov, 12pm. Was thinking of spending the next 2 full days in either Berne, Luzerne or Interlaken. I'm currently thinking of staying in luzerne, but I heard it is a long journey to jungfrau.

18th - zurich.
19th- luzerne
20th - luzerne
21st- luzerne -> friegburg

Will like to ask if
1. Luzerne is a good base?
2. Is Jungfrau a must go? Or is Mt pilatus better?
3. Thinking of doing a day trip in Berne, possible?

Will appreciate any suggestions at all, first timer in europe. Can't wait!

Thanks guys!
Old Sep 16th, 2011, 06:04 AM

I liked Lucerne, don't know about Jungfrau though, it may be too far for a day trip.

Pilatus was great, as was Rigi, but don't bother if it's cloudy. November may well be cold and damp with low cloud.
Old Sep 16th, 2011, 06:35 AM

From Luzern to the Jungfraujoch takes 4 hrs 30 minutes ONEWAY. You can check travel schedules at www.sbb.ch/en

I personally would base myself in Luzern and visit the local Mountain Rigi Kulm, for a trip that takes only 1 hr 30 minutes and offers excellent vistas (in good weather). I am not sure if the ships are still running at that time of the year. I checked...an abbreviated schedule runs from October 24-Dec 10 between Luzern and Fluelen. You can take a lake cruise and disembark at any of several lovely villages for an afternoon, before training back home (ex: Weggis/Vitznau or Brunnen).
From Zurich HB to Bern, it takes just 1 hour travel, and from Luzern to Bern is only 1 hour 30 minutes.
Although many other posters on this forum are not enthusiastic about Bern, I really liked it for a small city with plenty of shops and cafes and beautiful architecture.
Old Sep 16th, 2011, 06:38 AM

Hi angszeling,

Yes, Luzern is a superb base! It's like having all of Switzerland in one place because it offers mountains, a system of lakes, a dignified city, and lots of history. In good weather, you can ascend some of the nearby mountains or take a cruise on the lakes or hike or walk an Alpine trail. In bad weather, you can take a day-trip to other towns & cities(Bern, Zug, Basel) and still see a lot. Luzern is less than an hour from Zürich by train, so it's nearby and convenient for visits as short as yours.

But if you decide to stay in Luzern, please don't squander your time by trying to take a day-trip to the Jungfrau region. It's simply too far to go & return the same day. If you feel you have to see the Jungfrau region, you need to have a closer base, perhaps Thun or Bern.

With only two days, really, Luzern is the smart pick!

s
Old Sep 16th, 2011, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

oh guys, I just checked out Mt titlis and it says;

Maintenance work 2011: 7 - 25 November 2011

So does this mean that my trip there on 20th Nov is impossible? As in. I can't even go up there on my own?

haha.
Old Sep 16th, 2011, 09:55 PM

Hi again,

Yes, that's what it means.

But you can still ascend Rigi, Pilatus, Stanserhorn, etc.

s