Notices

Switzerland for 7 days

Old Jun 5th, 2003, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Switzerland for 7 days

I have a chance to be in Switzerland for 7 days. I will be starting from Grenoble, France. I have never been. Suggestions? Is there enough time to do a city in Austria too? I can rent a car or go by train.
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 07:37 AM

Good morning, lisak
Having seven days would suggest that
you split your time between two areas
in order to get the best of the areas
sights. E.g. would take three days in
the Berneroberland, staying at either
Grindelwald or Murren, a day of travel
and then to Luzern for the last three
days. In either areas you have more than
excellant rail or water transportation.
If you wish more details, drop me a e
mail and will suggest. Richard of )LaGrange Park, IL.0

([email protected])
Old Jun 11th, 2003, 08:57 AM
jmw

With only a week, I wouldn't think of extending to Austria, unless this is your only trip and you've got your heart set on a particular one.

I agree w/Richard that you would do well to split into just two places to stay. But which two places depends upon what you are interested in seeing. Mountains (coming from Grenoble, maybe you've had enough?), cities, vineyards, castles, cows and painted villages? If I were doing the split, I'd divide between two locations a bit more different than Lucerne and the Oberland. Another thing, if you like to daytrip by train, you could stay in Brienz on its lake at the base of the Oberland and from there daytrip to Lucerne in 90 minutes through the beautiful Brunig pass. From Brienz to Murren is about 90 minutes and from Brienz to Grindelwald about an hour. You could daytrip to Berne and Thun, too. So you could see quite a lot as part of one stop.

If your second place to stay is somewhere like Rapperswil on Zurich's lake, you could daytrip into Appenzell or back to Lucerne as well as into Zurich. Or for more contrast, consider making your second stop in Ticino on either lake Maggiore or lake Lugano -- both gorgeous and Italianate. I think what you've got to decide of is "Do I want to spend time staying up in the mountains?" --in which case, ignore all my comments and go with Richard's.

Not to worry, you can't make a poor choice in Switzerland. (We spent seven nights in Rapperswil and never ran out of places to visit.) J.

All in all, this decision is a killer unless you know that you'll return again and again.

Old Jun 11th, 2003, 12:18 PM

When I returned to Europe after an absence of more than 40 years, I had one objective in mind: The Swiss Alps.

I chose first the Berner Oberland and after some investigation via the web I selected an apartment in Lauterbrunnen.

I guess the chief god of serendipity smiled on us because we could not have chosen a place that satisfied us better.

Of course such results are a function of the person and what one wants and expects. But, in this case, we liked the place to well that we have gone back for repeat visits.

What I have learned on the repeat visits is that weather in the mountains is a very determining factor. Rain, even sleet and snow, on a mountain trail quickly turns a lovely outing into a foot=dragging slog. And without visibility, one dirt and rock trail is about like another.

One year when it rained on us more than I care to remember, we had to find our amusement elsewhere by visiting the cities. Luzern is particularly appealing whereas Bern seemed to run out of charm after about 5 hours.

So let me suggest that you have a Plan B if the weather is lousy. Otherwise, spend the sunny days seeing the awesome sights of the mountains.

If you rent a car, it will be somewhat useful if it rains because you will have mobility to explore the smaller towns such as Thun, Brienz, Meiringen, Luzern, Bern, and others. Also, if you decided to take an awesome drive over the Grimsel, Furka and Susten Passes, you will have the mobility to do on your timetabel rather than that of the trains and buses.

Also, if you have a car, you could move about a little more freely. We stayed in one place because there was plenty to see from there. But that of course is not what everyone wants.

I think you will have a good time, and let's all hope for good weather.
Old Jun 13th, 2003, 05:42 AM

Hi - If you are going to be in Switzerland - I highly highly recommend you try to go out to Lucerne. It is an amzing small town in Switzerland without the industrialized aura of Zurich or Geneva. If you truely want to see snow capped mountains and beautiful lakes with swans - Lucerne is the place to go. They've also got lots of small shops, beautiful covered bridge, and a lot of other things to explore. We also took a day out of the trip to take a train ride to a small neighboring town (forgot the name) and took a tour up the swiss alps. It was a cable car activity - and once you are up there, you can play in the snow, go through an ice cavern, or have hot chocolate in their restaurant up there. If this sounds like something you would do - I think you should do some research and definitely try to head out there! Have fun!!!