Planning a trip to Athens and islands

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are doing some long range planning for a trip to Greece and islands next fall 2012, and would like some advice. Which would be the best month to go - September or October? How may days in Athens is sufficient (3 days?) and what two islands are a "must see", although I'm sure that they are all beautiful. Are local tours that the hotesl offer? Which hotels are recommended on a mid-range budget? How best to navigate between Athens and the islands - air or ferry? We want to get the full flavor of Greece, and are thinking that a traditional cruise is not the best way to go. Any advise would be appreciated.
Old Sep 16th, 2011, 04:14 PM

Hi

Definitely September - second half. Still warm, swimming weather and ferries run regularly. Athens for 3 days is sufficient but leave it for the end of your trip. My pick for islands is Santorini and either Paros or Naxos although Mykonos would be a popular choice too. I would take a ferry to Mykonos, Naxos or Paros then a ferry to Santorini. I would fly back to Athens using Aegean or Olympic. For hotels use the search facility on this forum - much has been written on this topic. If necessary post a seperate question on the hotel issue and stating your budget in euro would result in more responses. Good luck!
Old Sep 16th, 2011, 04:26 PM

September is better than October, warmer and still lively. Spend 3 days minimum in Athens, although it really depends on what you want to do there. As to which islands yes, they're all beautiful. I love Santorini. Combining Santorini with Naxos or Paros is a good combo and you can get between them easily by ferry in just a couple of hours.

"Are local tours that the hotesl offer?" This is not a coherent question.

For hotel recommendations you need to state your actual travel dates, your maximum daily room budget in Euro as well as for how many people and what amenities you require: self-catering vs. full service.

Depending on the island you can spend 2-20 hours to reach them from Athens. Flying is great if your island choice has an airport and if flying is in your budget. Sign up for the Aegean Airlines and Olympic Air email newsletters and you'll be notified when their saver fares are released for your travel dates, probably not until mid-summer.
Old Sep 16th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Sorry... I meant to say - are local tours offered by the hotels in Athens to any of the historical sites like the Parthenon? Since we haven't really dived into our reserach yet, which other historical sites or museums in Athens are worth seeing in our limited three days there? Thanks for your suggestions regarding the islands, and we will look into Aegean Airlines and Olympic Air as an option to the ferry.
Old Sep 16th, 2011, 05:29 PM

Hotels don't usually offer tours but they might have brochures on hand for organized tours.

Definitely go see the Parthenon, Agora, National Archaeological Museum and the new Acropolis Museum.

Ride the funicular up Lycabettus Hill from the Kolonaki District for drink and/or a meal at sunset overlooking Athens.
Old Sep 16th, 2011, 10:36 PM

There are some tours taking place in Athens, and every receptionist would be more than happy to book them for you... as they earn commission...

To take an idea on the tours that are being offered in Athens
please go to http://www.keytours.gr/en/default.asp