Reload this Page >

1st Trip to Paris on June 12th...Help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 08:17 PM
Nikolas

Need to know best flea market and what day to go. Also need some good moderate price restaurants in the 8th arrondissement.<BR><BR>Also, partially disabled...are taxis really that bad? Have been warned that the drivers are not friendly etc etc.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 06:49 AM
elaine

Nikolas<BR>I've never had a problem with a taxi driver in Paris. If you don't speak any French, have your hotel front desk write down your destination for you on a slip of paper to hand to your driver.<BR>There are additional charges depending on whether or not the taxi was called for you, if it's nighttime, if you have luggage, and which zones you are traveling to.<BR><BR>I have a long file on Paris including some info on flea markets; if you'd like to see it, email me.<BR><BR>

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 07:07 AM
Art

Nikolas, When I was in Paris 2 years ago, I took a taxi back to my hotel from a nighclub. I had made a rookies mistake and only taken the name of the hotel with me. The driver did not know where it was so he stopped and asked a couple of drivers and finally stopped at another hotel to ask. By then the meter was up to 65 FF. He turned the meter off got us to our hotel and charged 40 FF and would not take any more, not even a tip. Big difference from 30 years ago. Of course he was not French.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 08:59 AM
elvira

For very upscale antiques as well as typical flea market stuff, St Ouen/Clignancourt is excellent.<BR><BR>Vanves has less upscale stuff, more odd bits...it zigzags up and down at least FOUR streets, and the good cheap junk is on the last street.<BR><BR>The BEST flea markets are the neighborhood ones that pop up whenever somebody can organize it. Look for posters in cafe windows and on lampposts, or hanging banners over the street. My best finds have been at these impromptu markets.<BR><BR>Only problem I see is mobility - the flea markets are set up in the street, with all the attendant potholes, cobblestones, broke pavement and insane curbs, plus narrow NARROW walkways between the stalls, and the stalls are packed with stuff and little room for walking. A wheelchair will be impossible, crutches a nightmare...if you're using a cane, you should be okay. Other than Clignancourt, there are no designated seating/rest areas, although lots of dealers are selling chairs and I've seen people "trying them out" (resting) and the dealers don't get huffy. Most of the brocantes markets are in neighborhoods with lots of cafes and bistros, so if you get tuckered out, you're not that far from a seat and a pick-me-up.<BR><BR>For the best selection, go for the opening on the first day (usually Saturday, 9am-ish; be sure to check the poster for the time. Vanves opens at 7am I think; don't remember about Clignancourt); for the best bargains, last couple of hours of the last day.<BR> <BR>

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 11:08 AM
Lexma90

I've always had very good experiences with cabbies in France. On our recent trip, the cabbie from the airport gave us information on the sites we were passing (such as le Bourget), and refused the tip we offered him. Even if you do speak a bit of French, it helps to write down your destination and the address - that way, if your accent isn't so good, and he doesn't understand you, you can show him what you mean.