Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

1st time visitor. How many days in Venice, Florence and Rome?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be visiting Italy from April 14 and April 25th. Flying into Venice from Los Angeles, arriving on April 15 in the pm. Flying out of Rome on the 25th in the morning. Essentially we have 9.5 days for sightseeing. We'll travel from city to city by train.

I haven't finished my itinerary yet. Right I'm thinking to allocate:

3 night in Venice
2 nights in Florence
5 nights in Rome with a day trip south somewhere

Does this sound reasonable? How is the weather in April? Hopefully it's not as crowded as summer?
Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 07:20 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Since you will probably be completely exhausted from the west coast flight, I'd probably do 4 nights in Venice and 4 nights in Rome.
Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 07:31 PM

The breakdown seems reasonable enough. What time do arrive in Venice, if it is before dinner time, and stay awake until 9 PM or so, the effects of jetlag shouldn't be too bad.

I was there in April last year, weather was variable. More sun than not, but still some rain and cool evenings.

You will be in Rome on the Easter long weekend. I haven't been there myself at that time, but my guess is it will be very, very crowded.
Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 07:35 PM

You want to spend at least 3 days in Venice, 3 days in Florence and 3 days in Rome. Florence is a magnificent and there is a lot to see--Duomo, Santa Croce, the David, the Uffizzi and the Bargello. Everything is walkable. Make sure you get reservations for the Uffizi, the Academia and the Bargello. That way you won't spend time in lines. By the way the food in Florence is Fabulous
Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

Last year we were jetlagged for two days flying into London from LA. The flight into Venice will probably more exhausting because I couldn't find a direct flight and we have stopovers in Portland and Amsterdam and therefore a longer trip.
Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 11:31 PM

Hopefully your layovers are not too long but use them to your advantage - as a break from the plane to keep the circulation going! PDX has a very user friendly airport (even the TSA people are nice) and good shops; Amsterdam airport is fabulous. At Christmastime it is completely decorated; you may find the same since it will be Easter. It's a lovely place to walk around and enjoy a glass of wine.

As for your itinerary, I much prefer Florence to Venice, for me there is just more to see and do. I'd do 2 days Venice and 4 each Florence and Rome.
Old Jan 23rd, 2011, 11:43 PM

Sounds good to me. I like the idea of adding an extra day to Venice though to allow for jetlag.

Also, you don't need to prebook for Accademia in Florence, just leave it until about 5pm and you won't have to wait more than 10 minutes to get in. The gallery itself is open until about 7pm which allows plenty of time to see the divine David. AND, don't be persuaded by those who say that it's just as good to see the copy out in the Palazzo della Signoria.
Old Jan 24th, 2011, 06:31 AM

I like your time frame, Raindrop92620. If you love art museums, you might want to give Florence another night. But before you take a day from another city, go to the library and look at several guide books. See what calls out to you and plan around that.

DH and I usually travelled in March. Sometimes is was cool so expect April will be more springlike (but still bring a good jacket). We encountered as many school children as tourists! Can't speak for certain about April but expect it will be the same.

An early start often avoids many groups. Also remember that churches may be closed during siesta time. Another reason to look at guide books-schedules!
Old Jan 24th, 2011, 07:51 AM

I'd give Florence an extra day. There is just so much to see and do there. Venice is unique and exquisite but it is a city that I like to view outdoors, walking and riding on the vaporetto, which is good for getting rid of the jetlag cobwebs. I guess if it were my trip (and unfortunately it's not) I'd spend 3 days Venice, 3 days Florence and 4 days Rome. And plan to go back as soon as possible!
Old Jan 24th, 2011, 09:02 AM

You need a minimum of 3 full days in Rome, which has by far the most to see/do (not counting the day you arrive) so you may need to drop the idea of a day trip rom there - unless you take time from somewhere else.