Rome, Venice, or Florence?

Old May 26th, 2004, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome, Venice, or Florence?

I'm taking a quick trip from Paris to either Rome, Venice, or Florence for 5 nights (6 days). This is my first trip to Italy and I have no idea which city (or cities) I should visit. Does anyone have a "must-see" list or recommended itinerary? I love history and architecture and I know all these are rich in those areas. Also, would I have time to visit 2 of these 3 towns? I've also heard that Siena and Assissi are beautiful, but I doubt I'll have time to see them...

I'm not planning or renting a car, so any suggestions on trains/buses would be welcome (if I pick 2 towns to visit).

Old May 26th, 2004, 07:24 AM

You will undoubtedly get many, many different opinions here. If it were me, based on your interests, I would equally lsplit that time between Florence and Venice. Or, do 4 days Florence, 2 days Venice.

Good luck in your planning!

Old May 26th, 2004, 07:24 AM

You can stay in FLorence the entire 5 nights and do some day trips from there. Or maybe 2 night Venice and 3 in FLorence. If you really want to see ROme, then I would spend the entire time there.
Old May 26th, 2004, 07:26 AM

I forgot to add that as far as recommended iteneraries, you could always do a text search for the various trip reports here on Fodors and see what sounds good to you.
Old May 26th, 2004, 07:31 AM

My answer depends on when you're going. If your trip is in the winter I would suggest Rome for the entire time. If in the milder weather I would see Florence and Venice (or Florence and day trips). I don't think I'd enjoy Venice as much in the colder weather.

I agree with MFNYC about not splitting Rome with another city. You'd need the entire 6 days there.
Old May 26th, 2004, 07:50 AM
rex

I think you have to do some reading for yourself. It's a little bit like saying "I know nothing about English literature - - should I start with a course on Dickens, Milton or Shakespeare?"

It's the verb "should visit" that throws me, I guess. You refer to this as a quick trip. How many days total? how many in France? Is it hastily arranged? or short in duration?

I don't know that you "should" leave France at all to go to Italy. I would think it would be about "want to". And if you know nothing about any of the three of them, what makes you think you "want to"? You must know something about Italy that makes you think you want to go there.

Start with what you think you know, and build on it.

And FWIW, I don't think that 4 days in Rome with a side trip to Florence for 8-36 hours would be such a bad idea.

Nor would splitting Venice and Florence over 5 nights be a bad idea.

Why are you going to Paris? but not interested in anywhere else in France?

There is some introductory reading material on all of the major destinations at http://www.fodors.com/miniguides

Best wishes,

Rex
Old May 26th, 2004, 07:56 AM
boxwood

spent 5 days in rome during the heat wave in august last year and it was still spectactular - even with 3 kids in tow. we then took 1st class rail to venice for a few days of rest! also gorgeous, but crowded (aug. 20?). read irving stone's "the agony and ecstacy" and go to rome!

Old May 26th, 2004, 08:06 AM
ira

Hi colo,

Assuming that you will be there during the season and that you are spending at least a week in Paris, I suggest you do 3 days in Florence, with a day trip to Siena, and 2 days in Venice.

www.volareweb.com flies Paris Orly to both Rome FCO and Venice for about 40E.
Old May 26th, 2004, 08:10 AM

I myself would have to vote for Rome. There is just so much to see and do. And, I did love Florence and Venice, however, there was just something about Rome that captivated me.
Old May 26th, 2004, 08:14 AM

I would vote for going only to Florence. For me, Florence is magical. Period. It would also be a nice break from the big city bustle of Paris and of course has everything to offer in terms of art, architecture, day trips, food.