Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Does a stroller work in venice, florence or rome?

Jun 14th, 2002, 01:22 PM
lynn

My husband and I will visit Italy for 2 weeks with our 4 year old daughter. We plan to stay in venice, florence,and rome 4 to 5 days each. We have a light weight aluminum stroller we bought last year for our Paris trip which worked great. We wounder if the stroller would work in above cities, or any advise. Thank you very much.

Jun 14th, 2002, 01:24 PM
xxx

you will survive Florence and Rome ok, but Venice is another story.
Leave it in the hotel while your are there.
Venice is full of bridges and stairs.

Jun 14th, 2002, 01:33 PM
Clara

My only suggest to you Lynn is use strollers with the big wheels versus the cheap little wheelers. Makes senses?

Jun 14th, 2002, 01:36 PM
Bob

In Venice, probably not, for the reason the other poster listed. Rome and Florence, probably OK, but watch stepping out in traffic and into blind corners and alleys (especially in Florence!)

Jun 14th, 2002, 06:08 PM
Mark

Venice has many small bridges which may be a challenge but Rome and Florence may be more work because of the auto traffic - especially in rome. People drive crazy there and the road have multiple lanes. Florence is mostly mopeds and they are somewhat couteous.

Jun 14th, 2002, 06:23 PM
Audrey

I would be concerned about the little daughter getting shaken apart on the cobblestones. Be sure that your stroller is one of those really good ones with the big shock-absorbing wheels (I think that's what Clara was getting at). And don't forget about the added danger of very narrow streets. Sometimes it is hard to jump out of the way of cars. I suppose that if you take it and it's just too difficult you can leave it in the hotel and let her ride on dad's shoulders. She'll have the best view!

Jun 15th, 2002, 08:38 AM
nancy

In Venice we saw lots of strollers,
and a good many of the people were italians who appeared to live in that city.
but as someone said, all those small bridges.
If you two don't mind carrying the stroller up and down stairs....

Rome, agree with Audrey
cobblestone syndrome!

Jun 15th, 2002, 09:59 AM
xxx

what do you think Italian mothers use?

Aug 18th, 2002, 11:46 PM
topper

Up for Mark

Aug 19th, 2002, 05:16 AM
toddler

I think the Italian mothers carry till they can toddle, then they toddle.

Aug 19th, 2002, 05:51 AM
topper

A 4 year old in a stroller, am I missing something?

Aug 19th, 2002, 06:47 AM
msa

Our son was 4 when we went to Portugal and 5 when we went to Italy...no need for a stroller at all, plus much safer. Just keep holding your daughters hand while you walk...do not let her get ahead of you at all...she is small and the cars will not see her.

Aug 19th, 2002, 10:05 AM
Alice Twain

Toddler:

Italian mothers have the habit of keeping their children in strollers until the age of 5 or even 6. I have had experiences with kids being pulled around in a stroller but who were old enough as to keep a door open for me since I was carring a couple of big bags of food.

Aug 19th, 2002, 10:25 AM
Travelermom

Lynn,

Although Venice, Florence and Rome are not ideal for strollers, I'd recommend you to bring it with you.

Although a 4 y.o. girl don't need a stroller anymore, she won't be able to walk as much as the parents, while sightseeing.

While in America, moms drive, take public transportation, metro, busses, or the like, in Europe, they mostly walk, and walk a lot. that's why the parents pull them around in strollers, rather than dragging them, forcing them to walk longer distances.

Aug 20th, 2002, 04:25 AM
Alice Twain

Travelermom:

I do not agree. I have been walking since the ge of two on my own legs, when I grew tired I just walked on. Moms in italy use cars a lot, use public transportation, metro, busses and the like a lot. The reason for they keep the kids in the strollers is that it is easier to have them seated and unable to get up instead of keepeing an eye on them as the shop. Than, the kids grow older and the ASK for the stroller because walking tires them. Our kids are just too pampered!