Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

12 Days in Italy; Making a big loop, possible?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2003, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister and I already purchased airline tickets to arrive in Rome on Tues.,Sept.2nd at 8am; we depart Sunday, Sept.14th morning at 11am.<BR><BR>We are young and fast-paced travelers(23&amp;20). We are thinking of getting a youth-rail pass and using bus/train transportation. We are ambitious and trying to figure out the most logical way to see and do all we want to.<BR><BR>Is it possible/logical to do a big loop? How can we see Venice(one night), Cinque Terre(hike), Florence(David), Positano(day trips to Capri and Pompeii) and Rome(old city and vatican)? We don't want to lose time traveling, so we would like to take night trains for the longer distances. Venice and Florence are not top priorities; Amalfi area is.<BR><BR>Also, do you suggest Italian new-comers to attack Rome at the beginning or end of their trip?<BR>
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 07:04 AM

Given you are flying in and out of Rome, I would look into a 1-way flight to Venice upon arrival in Rome (to get there in the quickest possible way). Work your way more or less, North to South. Spend 2 nights venice, 2 nts CT, 2 FLorence, 3 Amalfi, 3 Rome. I think it's best to save Rome for the end of the trip. You'll get a little rest in Amalfi so you'll be revitalized to tour Rome. SInce you're leaving from ROme, also, it's best to be there for convenience. You will be exhausted from the long trip to Italy, Venice is a more leisurely place to start out. This will be a tiring trip but it is doable.
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 07:18 AM

Slow down!!!<BR>I presume you are on a holiday, and not on a ralleye.<BR>Rome is a 5-day-town, Venice a 3-day and Florence a 2-day-town.<BR>Positano and Amalfi, with a daytrip to Capri and one to Pompeii, is at least, as it is a top priority for you, a 4-day destination. Cinque Terre is a 2-day destination.<BR>Night trains might only bring you a solution for Venice Rome (see www.trenitalia.it) but the other destinations are to nearbby for night trains.<BR>Take Rome at the end of your trip. <BR><BR>As I read you, you should, upon arrival, take the train to the Amalfi region, stay there for a week (daytrips, beach,...) and then head to Rome for 5 days. Period. <BR>At least you will have seen 2 places in a proper way.<BR>Good luck.<BR>
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 07:44 AM

&gt; &gt; &gt;<BR>You've got two threads on same topic, so I've copied &amp; pasted my comments here.<BR><BR>I chuckled reading MFNYC's comment. My opinion is exactly the opposite -- do Rome FIRST and then savid Amalfi for the end. That's the beauty of this website; you'll get a range of opinions on the topic.<BR><BR>Author: Tess_Durberville<BR>Date: 03/19/2003, 11:37 am<BR>Message: <BR>Best to start with Rome at beginning of your trip when you've got lots of energy --- Rome is a vibrant intense city. And then you'll have opportunity to conclude your trip with Amalfi area, which is more laid-back &amp; relaxed.<BR>Here's a suggested itinerary for the cities you've mentioned. Of course, you'll need to look at train schedules (www.trenitalia.com) to verify if this is all do-able.<BR>Tues~Sept 2nd = arrive in Rome<BR>Wed + Thurs + Fri = explore Rome<BR>Sat morning = train to Florence (1.5 hrs on Eurostar)<BR>Sat night in Florence<BR>Sun morning = train to Venice<BR>Sun nite + Mon = Venice<BR>Mon nite = train to Cinque Terre<BR>Tues + Wed = CT<BR>Thurs is full travel day from CT down to Positano, possibly stopping at Pompeii in afternoon if timing is right<BR>Friday = Positano &amp; side trip to Capri<BR>Saturday = Positano; depart in afternoon (Pompeii on your way back up to Rome?)<BR>Sat night in Rome<BR>Sun morn = departure. <BR><BR><BR>
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice! I have found a flight from Naples to Venice for $15 on Alpi-Eagles(anyone heard of them?). I'm thinking about making a figure eight. How's this sound? We could stay the night in Rome, Positano, Venice and Florence.<BR><BR>Tue:Rome<BR>Wed:Rome<BR>Thu:Rome-afternoon train to Positano<BR>Friositano<BR>Satositano<BR>Suno sitano<BR>Monositano<BR>Tue:Fly to Venice-all day in Venice<BR>Wed:Venice-afternoon train to Florence<BR>Thu:Florence<BR>Friay trip to CT<BR>Sat:Florence-afternoon Train to Rome<BR>Sunepart
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 08:23 AM

pull a day in Positano and add an overnight in CTerre.
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 08:33 AM
ira

Hi,<BR><BR> Must you do &quot;If it's Tuesday, it must be Belgium&quot;?<BR><BR> You are losing Thursday to Rome/Naples/Sorrento/bus to Positano.<BR> You are losing Tuesday to Positano/Sorrento/Naples/naples airport/Venice airport/Venice. You will not have a day to spend in Venice.<BR><BR> You are spending ONE day in Florence?<BR><BR> You are spending ONE day in Rome? <BR><BR> I urge you to seriously reconsider this trip.<BR>
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice! I have found a flight from Naples to Venice for $15 on Alpi-Eagles(anyone heard of them?). I'm thinking about making a figure eight. How's this sound? We could stay the night in Rome, Positano, Venice and Florence.<BR><BR>Tue:Rome<BR>Wed:Rome<BR>Thu:Rome-afternoon train to Positano<BR>Friositano<BR>Satositano<BR>Suno sitano<BR>Monositano<BR>Tue:Fly to Venice-all day in Venice<BR>Wed:Venice-afternoon train to Florence<BR>Thu:Florence<BR>Friay trip to CT<BR>Sat:Florence-afternoon Train to Rome<BR>Sunepart
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Sorry...my computer keeps re-sending my posting.<BR>**********************************<BR> I will consider all options. I've never done Italy before, so please keep the suggestions coming.
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 09:02 AM

I love these whirlwind threads !<BR>Everyone attempts to make it all fit and ignores the fact that this is a vacation--not a scavenger hunt.<BR>Whatever it is worth--you have 12 days, pick 4 destinations. I would include one coastal destination--not both.<BR>I would save Rome for last--good luck !
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 09:04 AM
JBX

beckonbecky,<BR>I'd stay longer in Venice, spending Tues and Wed there. Then leave Venice on Thursday morning. Explore Florence on Thursday afternoon Friday. DROP the Cinque Terre from your itinerary. Saturday afternoon, take train from Florence to Rome.<BR><BR>You've allocated 4 full days to Positano/Amalfi coast. I think that area is lovelier and more interesting than the Cinque Terre.
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 10:37 AM

We all have different tastes and interests, but something just seems out of whack when there's 4 days in Positano and only 1 (maybe) in Venice and 1+ or 2 more or less in each Rome and Florence. The Amalfi Coast is wonderful, but if you are fast-paced travellers, you might get bored with 5 nights in Positano.<BR><BR>Forget the day trip to CT--it's no more beautiful than the Amalfi Coast and you won't get any of its unique flavor from a day trip.<BR><BR>If you can only spare what amounts to 1 day or less to Venice, I would say skip it entirely and the day to Florence or Rome. Venice is one of the worst places in the world for a one day visit.<BR><BR>Having gotten my 2 cents worth in--remember that it's your trip, your money, your time. Do what is best for you and what you are interested in.
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 01:35 PM
Camargiotta

You young people crack me up! My 22 yrs. old daughter was working in Sweden for 2 weeks and asked me to join her at the end of her stay so we could see the sites. Of course, I said yes and we ended up seeing 3 countries - Sweden, Norway and Finland - in 5 days!!! We slept on a cruise ship, a train and on an airport bench the last night. It was probably one of the best vacations I have ever been on. Of course we saw nothing in depth but we saw enough to know if we ever wanted to go back or not. <BR>My advise to you is to not make any plans just fly by the seat of your pants and go whenever and where ever you want with somewhat of an itinerary in the back of your minds. You will both have the time of your life. Ciao!