Budapest or Venice?

Search

Budapest or Venice?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2003, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Budapest or Venice?

I have a few more nights to schedule in my itinerary and I'm debating between Budapest and Venice. I like architecture, neat cities, interesting cultures, etc. but can't decide between these two.<BR><BR>Other stops on my schedule include: Romantic Road, Munich, Salzburg, Vienna, Prague, the Rhine, Amsterdam and London and/or Paris.<BR><BR>I would either insert Venice before/after Munich, or insert Budapest between Vienna &amp; Prague.<BR><BR>Any opinions on which I should see? It would be 2 or 3 (hopefully 3) nights that I'd allocate to one of these places.<BR><BR>Thanks for any feedback!
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 05:10 PM

Budapest is more in the neighborhood being less than 3 hours by train from Vienna.<BR><BR>It's one of my favorite cities -- there is a very different &quot;feel&quot; than the rest of Europe.<BR><BR>Let me know if you want advice /suggestions for Budapest.
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 05:29 PM

Definitely Budapest! Great architecture, food, art, people, markets, etc. <BR><BR>Get info from sfowler. She knows what she's talking about.
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 07:29 PM

Budapest is a lovely city and a great place to wander around, on either side of the river. But it's tough to miss Venice if this might be your only trip to the area. Certainly Budapest fits better with the other cities in terms of convenience to them; but I wouldn't miss Venice unless you know you can see it another time. If your itinerary is definitely time-constrained, you might have to drop one of the other cities to see Venice. One way to make the decision easier is to think about which city you'd prefer to drop so you could see Venice. If one doesn't pop into mind right away, stick with Budapest instead.
Old Mar 18th, 2003, 09:34 PM
Original Poster

yeah, part of the reason I'm considering dropping Venice is because I think it would make more sense in an Italy-Greece or Italy-Southern France itinerary. I plan to do one of these next year. I'm leaning towards Budapest since it fits better with this trip, but honestly I know squat about it right now. Time to do some reading!
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 07:01 AM

I prefer Venice, if you have never been there. Budapest is worse than Prague, and I think Venice is one of the most beautiful cities worldwide.
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 07:32 AM

mspguy: We've been to Venice and loved it, but agree it should be done on another trip in conjunction with other Italian cities.<BR><BR>We will be visiting Prague/Vienna/Budapest in a couple of months and have been doing a lot of research. You might want to e-mail [email protected] to request info. They sent us a nice packet of brochures, city map of Budapest, etc.<BR><BR>Here are a few sites that might help:<BR><BR>www.fsz.bme.hu/hungary/bufapest.bplinks<BR>www.fsz.bme.hu/hungary/qgeneral.html<BR>www.vista.hu<BR>www.fph.hu<BR>www .budapest.com<BR><BR>We're looking forward to our first trip to Eastern Europe and I have found tons of interesting places to visit and things to do on the internet. In fact, I have so much stuff I need to do some serious paring down and selecting for all three destinations!<BR><BR>sfowler: Thanks to your positive comments, as well as raves on Fodors, we are booked at the Victoria. It sounds wonderful and the view of the Danube should be really special. Thanks. Any suggestions you have for Budapest would be appreciated.<BR><BR>
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 12:41 PM

If you think you can do an Italy trip next year, I would definitely see Budapest on this trip. We were there about 5 years ago and were fascinated by the culture, the architecture, and seeing a city coming out from under Communism. Then be sure to catch Venice on your next trip!
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 01:57 PM

I found Venice to be intersting but over priced. Once there it appeared that they had you on those islands and fleeced you.<BR><BR>Budapest I really liked much much better. Reasonable prices, a unique environemnt and some awfully good food and Tokai wine. <BR><BR>A very grimy city, amazing what 70 years of commie rule will do, but a lot of character. I particularly liked visiting the synagogue and eating paprika chicken...awesome!<BR><BR>US
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 02:08 PM

&gt; &gt; &gt; my vote is for Budapest &lt; &lt; &lt;<BR><BR>Save Venice for a trip focusing on Italy.
Old Mar 19th, 2003, 02:36 PM

Re: &quot;I found Venice to be intersting but over priced.&quot;<BR><BR>&quot;Over&quot;priced, Sam? You're a good capitalist, aren't you? It's merely supply and demand at work and what good capitalist would have a problem with that?
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 03:36 AM

What does &quot;Budpest is worse than Prague' mean? <BR><BR>Both cities are lovely and very worthwhile to visit. I agree with the other posters. I love Venice but would do it another time...Budapest fits better with your itinerary.<BR><BR>Also, Uncle Sam, when were you there? We lived in Budapest between 1997 and 2000, and have since revisited it several times. It is amazing how much cleaner it is now. There is hope and the architecture is amazing!
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 03:57 AM

mspguy -- my email is [email protected]
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 02:15 PM

I have been to both cities. They are very different and each is worth a visit. I would suggest Budapest if you think you will not return to eastern europe. <BR><BR>Having been to both regions, I am planning to return to Italy since there are so many great cities and areas. I found that one trip to eastern europe was enough. This of course is just my opinion. <BR><BR>Finally, I think you will have less traveling time between Vienna and Budapest.<BR><BR>You won't go wrong with either choice. Have a great trip.