HELP -TOUR UNCERTAINTY

Old Mar 20th, 2003, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP -TOUR UNCERTAINTY

My mom and I are due to leave for Italy tomorrow and we can not seem to get in touch with Globus Tours. They are located in Colorado and they are under 3 or 4 feet of snow!! We are all packed and plan to go on our trip, but it is a little unsettling not being able to contact anyone to know for sure if it has been canceled for war reasons or excessive cancellations from concerned customers. We are planning on going and worst case, we find a hotel in Rome and go on our own. We do have insurance and are covered if the tour cancels, but I am wondering why Globus does not have any information on their website or anything to notify people of the status right now.

We leave tomorrow as I mentioned and would appreciate any info from anyone with prior Globus experience or any suggestions at all on feeling a little more secure about our travel under these circumstances.

Thank you and your prompt response is appreciated. I won't be on-line after today.

Old Mar 20th, 2003, 07:06 AM

Hi
Have you tried emailing them.
I assume they have a website that would include an email address?
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

They do not have an email address on their website. Only an address for mailing and a phone number. I thought of that myself, but could not locate an email address. Thanks for the suggestion. I am even considering calling the hotel in Rome to find out if they know if our group is still scheduled to arrive the 22nd.
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 07:11 AM

It's only 9 am in Colorado. Give them a little time to get in to the office through all that snow.
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

They were closed yesterday all day due to the snow, so perhaps you are right and they are just delayed, but they also might be closed again. I understand they got quite a lot of snow. It is just a little unsettling that they have not changed their phone message or put a notice on the website for concerned travelers leaving in the next 24 hours or so. Thanks.
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 09:15 AM

[email protected]
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 09:20 AM

How about contacting the airline and hotels they use to reconfirm those arrangements?
Globus is a well-known company, I can't imagine they would cancel without notice. I hope not.
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

That website [email protected] is not valid. I tried to send an email and it was returned to me. Where did you find that address Grimmy? We are flying independently from the tour and meeting them in Rome. I guess we could contact the hotel in Rome to see if they heard anything. It is most disturbing to me that a large and reputable company would not have changed their answering machine to notify travelers of the situation and/or put a notification on their webpage or something. I am still hoping someone out there with Globus experience or a similar situation can give some input.
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 10:38 AM

I don't know if this helps, but tauck.com, site for tauck tours, says that as their tours (incl. European ones) are operating nowhere near the war theatre, they are operating as usual. Chances are, Globus is the same way. You have a backup plan, so I say, go for it, and Godspeed. : - )
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 11:30 AM

I'm sorry that address didn't work for you. I found it on www.globus-tour.com .
(bottom of the page)
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses. No problem Grimmy, I guess we'll find out tomorrow when we get to the airport in Rome! I'll try again tomorrow until the time of departure just in case too. Hopefully it will all work out! We are packed and ready. Thanks for your tip too Sue. That is probably right. If one tour company seems o.k. then perhaps the majority will too. Well, hopefully you won't here from me in a few days and you'll know we went!
Ciao!

Old Mar 20th, 2003, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

That would be "HEAR" from me! I hate to spell wrong.
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 12:54 PM

Hi
I just tried the link at the bottom of the web page also, it redirected me to this link. I tried it and it didn't come back undeliverable!
"[email protected]"
The web site also listed phone numbers in Florida, try those. Good luck.
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 01:11 PM

I have clients in the Denver area and there's no way they could get to work today. They have a minium of 3 feet snow and one guy said he has drifts up to six feet at his house. Even SVUs cannot operate in that until the roads are plowed.
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 02:45 PM

I think globus is part of a larger tour company. Unfortunately, I can't find my info about them. If I come across anything I'll post again. I recall surprise that they were under the same "umbrella".
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 04:14 PM

I need to contact Globus also, regarding a summer trip, so there's no urgency in my situation. My travel agent tells me that the Colorado office has been closed for two days because of the storm, and may be closed until Monday.

Globus-Cosmos is a very reputable company and I would doubt very much that your plans would be altered without your being informed. For your peace of mind, however, it's probably worth the price of an international phone call to your hotel in Rome to assess the situation.

Something about this situation that I don't understand is the apparent lack of a travel agent. I usually make all my own travel bookings, but this summer I concluded that with so many variables going on the world, a tour might be the way to go. I did my research and found that Globus was highly recommended and offered exactly the trip I wanted to take.

The first sentence of their "Terms and Conditions" states, "To make your reservation, see your travel agent, ...." Since I didn't have a travel agent, I did some more research and located one, Pavlus, recommended to me by friends. I may have lucked out, but I must say that my new travel agent has been very helpful in assistin me to individualize my trip.

She gave me the impression that Globus works only with travel agents and does not deal with individuals.