11-hour stopover in Rome

Search

11-hour stopover in Rome

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2005, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
11-hour stopover in Rome

My Dad has an eleven-hour stopover in Rome this December and asked me for some ideas and has some practical questions as well. He figures he'll have at least 6 hours to see some sights. It's been a few years since I've been but I thought the Colloseum and the Roman Forum were must sees and if I remember walking distance from one another. He is also interested in seeing the Jewish quarter, especially the synagogue there. Any other ideas My Dad is a big walker--hopefully the weather will be decent--and he likes history, art, etc. (I don't know that he'll have time for a museum though.)

What is the best way to get from the airport to the city? Should he take a cab, if so how much would that cost there and back? And how much time would it take? How far is the Colloseum to the Jewish quarter?
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 10:34 AM

He could take a cab to save time and agony, but the trip by train is not too daunting either.

Take the Leonardo Express (about 10 euros; 30 mins) to Roma Termini. Then take the metro two stops to Colosseo. The Colosseum and Forum are indeed right across from this metro stop, and across the street from one another.

The Jewish quarter is a 10-15 minute walk from the Forum. He'll skirt the Captoline Hill, or he could climb the steps from the Forum to the top of the Capitoline Hill and experience Michelangelo's piazza and a great view of the city. Walking down the other side from the piazza would bring him pretty close to the Jewish quarter.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks ellenem. If he went first to the Jewish quarter which train stop would he get off at? Also do you know if there are English tours of the Colloseum and would he be able to sign up on the spot?
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 11:16 AM

I too would take the Leonardo Express. Very easy and convenient.

We took an english tour of the Colloseum. There are tour guides wandering all around the Colloseum. We were approached by an english speaking guide and asked if we wanted to join a tour. When we were there the second time we were also approached, but we didn't take the guide up on the offer as we had already done it. It shouldn't be too difficult for him to find an english-speaking tour.

I'm not familiar with the Jewish Quarter, but if he has time left and he likes history, he may want to check out the Pantheon. It was a highlight of our trip. The Pantheon is free to get into and there are lots of cafes and restaurants nearby.

Tracy
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 01:28 PM

Unfortunately, the Rome metro is not very extensive. The Colosseum stop is about as close to the Jewish quarter as one can get by metro. If he wanted to visit the Jewish quarter first, he should probably take a taxi from Termini. There a buses that go from Termini that would also work, but since he's pressed for time a taxi might be better. Be sure to take a taxi from the official line.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 03:39 PM

he can leave any hand luggage in the "consigna" under the train station.
it is marked along right side when facing the tracks. about 3.5 euros/bag per 4 hours, i think.

there is a tourist hop on hop off bus outside termini station, at least in summer. also, a tourist office inside train station.

Old Oct 31st, 2005, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all this info. If I know my Dad, his hand luggage will be very light and he'll probably take it with him.

Would getting around by taxi be very expensive?

In terms of getting trains/bus maps and a map of Rome before he goes, can I contact the Italian embassy for that? (I hace contacted embassies in the past for maps and things like that, and they are usually very accomodating.)