Best way around Rome

Search

Best way around Rome

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2004, 04:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best way around Rome

I have 3 full days to see Rome in January. What is the best method of making sure that all the not to be missed sites are seen? Bus, taxi, tour bus?
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 04:26 AM

Well, I don't hink you can see everthing not to be missed in 3 days. So I would make a list of what is a don;t miss for you. Ordinarily I would say to do it all on foot - but if it's chilly and rainy that may be too unpleasant. You may want to consider one of those 1/2 day guided overviews - and then go back to the things you really loved on foot (or taxi if its really nasty).
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 04:32 AM

Pick-up a 'Roma Metro-Bus' map (5.5e) at a newstand.
Taxis aren't really expensive provided they don't take the long way around or get stuck in traffic. Example: Early AM (~7:30) no heavy traffic I paid 7.39e from Termini to St. Peter's Square.
I would pass on a tour bus. Once in the historic center walking from site to site is easy. Example: From the Colosseum to the Piazza Navona is ~2.1km ~1.25mi.
Where is your hotel?
Regards, Walter
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 06:52 AM

On foot. Most of historic Rome is closely packed together and easily walkable. When you exit the Forum, you're at the entrance to the Colosseum. And when you start at the Piazza d'Espagne and walk down the Corso, almost everything - the Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon, the Piazza Navona, Monument Vittorio Emannuele - will be not far to your right or left.
You might want to bus it over to the Vatican, or take the metro if you want to go from, say, the Colosseum to Flaminio (the station that serves as the gateway to historic Rome).
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 08:33 AM
ira

Hi tailsid.

www.multimap.com shows the metro stops.

http://www.metropla.net/eu/rom/roma.htm is the map of the Rome metro system.
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 03:51 PM

You will never be able to see everything. I recommend doing some reading and then making a list of "MUSTS" and then a list of "if there is time." Group these sights by neighborhood and then plot them out by time....what you will do in the mornings, afternoons, evenings, although in a city like Rome it isn't easy to stick to a schedule.

Make sure you double check the opening and closing times of whatever places you want to visit. Many places close one day a week. And many places are closed for long lunches. So it is important to coordinate all of these factors.

If you stay in the center of the city, most things will be an easy walk. The Vatican and the Colosseum are further out....longer walks...depending on where you are staying. You might consider some sort of guided tour for part of the time to help you fit more things into those 3 days.
Old Jan 19th, 2004, 07:39 AM
MileKing

Subway and walking. The subways go very near most of the major attractions and are easy to use. You can buy day passes from most of the newstands. Be warned, however, that they are crowded. Jam-packed is actually a better description. With the exception of very late night trains, we never got aboard without some pushing/shoving.

Old Jan 19th, 2004, 08:39 AM

The subways in Rome are not as extensive as in many cities, as you will see if you take a look at a map online. They can be very useful for certain sights such as the Vatican or the Collosseum and a few others, but your hotel may very well be quite a ways from a station (e.g., if you stay around Piazza Navona). The buses are confusing to many people, but we used them a few times. Taxis, as others said, are not too expensive, and can be useful if you need to get somewhere specific. The most important thing to do is to plan to see the city based on logistics/proximity. For example, you can go to the Roman Forum and the Colloseum, then catch the subway to another part of the city. You can do the same from the Vatican. The other things you are likely to want to see most make for a great walk, ranging from Campo dei Fiori to the Spanish Steps or even on to Piazza del Popolo. You can easily take in part of the Vatican and then take the subway to around Piazza del Popolo or the Spanish Steps, for example. I would plan one ancient day (Campo del Campodoglio to the Collosseum at least) and one Vatican day (cathedral and museums), fitting in a few other sights on either day if possible. Then use the third day to see the areas I mentioned for good walking and any other things you care to do. Regardless of the season, do partake of lots of gelato along the way.