10 days in France -- what to see?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 3-year-old son, my husband, and I will be flying into Lyon. We will be staying in Lyon for a couple of days. We are thinking of going south to Marseille for a couple of days. Then we will drive west towards Bordeaux, which we will fly out. We want to spend at the wineries several days. Is there any where between Marseille and Bordeaux that we stop and stay at? Also any recommendations for sightseeing with a 3-year-old and any food specialties are appreciated. Thannks!
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 02:41 AM

Hi

You will pass through Languedoc between Marseille & Bordeaux. Languedoc has beaches, lagoons, mountains, history and 300+ sunny days each year.

Search google for languedoc ?

Peter
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 03:22 AM

After visiting the Langedoc region, pass through the Dordogne. It's going to be on the route to Bordeaux, almost.

Blackduff
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 05:54 AM
ira

Hi C,

You can plot your route at www.viamichelin.com or www.mappy.com

It's only 6 hr from M to B.

If you want to take the "discovery" route, Carcassone would be about 1/2 way.

You could also go via Albi.

Old Oct 30th, 2007, 07:00 AM

I think Montpellier, Aix, and Toulouse are more interesting than Marseille & Bordeaux.

Stu Dudley
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 07:11 AM

Get the Michelin Green Guide for that area. It will tell you what to see and suggest itineraries for the days of travel available.
Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 07:49 AM

There are at least 4 Green Guides covering that area.

Once you get over to the South-west, as far as food is concerned, you're talking duck- foie gras, confit, magret, cassoulet, haricot tarbais- with such add ons as jambon- de Bayonne or du porc noir- Lectoure melons, espelette peppers and the fantastic cheese of the region.

I'm not good at things for little kids, but I suggest you stop at the Millau Bridge, make time for the Pyrenees, visit a Bastide or two, maybe go to Lourdes- can be tacky, but....

Pau is pretty, as is its castle.

Did I mention teh mountains.
Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 07:55 AM

For ten days in France, the Green Guide for France should be sufficient. You will not have much more time for details given that you want to spend about 7 days in three locations, if I read your post correctly: Lyon, Marseille and Bordeaux.
Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

I'll be in Lyon for a conference for 3 days and then 2 days for touring. Then we have 10 days leaving from Lyon. Instead of going to Marseille, we decided to go to Nice instead for 4 nights and then to Montpellier, as recommended. We will then tour Carcassonne citadel and then to Bordeaux. It seems like there is a lot of driving. Not sure if the roads are ok during this time of the year.

Thanks for all the recommendations of places and foods. I got a Michelin guide from the library -- not sure if it's the green guide.
Old Nov 3rd, 2007, 11:08 PM

Michelin has a Red guide for restaurants and hotels and Green guides for sight-seeing. You cannot confuse the two.
Old Nov 10th, 2007, 03:54 AM
Original Poster

I have the thin green Michelin France guidebook. It has guides for where to stay and eat for most places except Lyon. Quite surprised and disappointing since Lyon is the capital of fine cuisines yet it didn't have a listing.
Old Nov 10th, 2007, 12:40 PM

The places listed in the Green Guide are very limited. Just look at the Red Guide in some bookstore, and you'll see the difference. If you have a very strong interest in food, you might want to pick up the Red Guide.
Old Nov 10th, 2007, 12:53 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, chenel,

main question - how good is your 3 year old at travelling? going round places like vineyards?

yep, you've guessed it, I'm going to suggest that you are doing too much, not just for your son, but for yourselves too. my kids hate moving around too much, and they were 16 & 19 on our last family trip this summer.

as i read the thread, I started to think that you'd got the hint, when you said you were going to Nice and Monpellier, but onto Bordeaux as well?

also the things to see in the Dordogne will be much more appealing when he's 7 or 8.

in 10 days, I would go to Nice as planned, then onto the languedoc. fly home from toulouse. stay in just 2 places. [all right, 3 if you must].

leave the dorsdogne and bordeaux for another time. they'll still be there.

regards, ann
Old Nov 10th, 2007, 01:20 PM

The Green Guide is primarily for sightseeing. In the older editions, there was nothing on lodging and food, leaving that to the Red Guide. Now the Green Guide includes a few recommendations.