Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Toulouse/Bordeaux- Worth a day at the expense of the Dordogne?

Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a week in the Dordogne. We fly into Toulouse and out of Bordeaux.

Are either or both of these cities worth spending a day/night in or should we proceed dirctly to the Dordogne and stay there the entire time?
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 12:09 PM
ira

Hi B,

You will probably want to be in Bordeaux the night before your plane leaves.

Other than that, with only a week, I would stick to the Dordogne.

Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 01:00 PM

I've flown into/out of Bordeaux as well as driven on its beltway several times and have yet to see this (apparently) beautiful city. Not that that is anything to be proud of. But I'm with Ira...the lure of La Dordogne is just too great.

Same with Toulouse-have driven through on the beltway and someday plan on visiting in detail. I just prefer to investigate the small towns/villages when we have a car. Some day when we're too old (or poor) to drive we'll make one of these larger cities our main destination.

A faithful contributor (sorry can't remember who) gave a report on their Bordeaux stay last year. You should be able to bring it up, and someone else had one on Toulouse. In the end it comes down to what kind of experience you want to have. I'm at an age where I want to do less, but do it well--and I prefer small towns to big cities. Good luck.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 01:11 PM

We've stayed in the center of Toulouse at the beginning & end of Dordogne trips twice. This past Sept, we stayed at an Toulouse airport hotel the last night, and had the best meal of our 4 week trip to the Dordogne at a Michelin 1 star restaurant next to the airport.

We have flown in & out of Bordeaux several times, but we've never stayed in town. We've visited it on day trips a couple of times.

I much prefer Toulouse to Bordeaux. However, I would not do it at the expense of any time in the Dordogne. If you can add a day to stay in Toulouse at the beginning of your trip, that would be ideal. We've stayed at the Mermoz & President hotels - both are just outside the medieval section of town, and are close to the train station where we picked up a car, and dropped one off also.

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks very much.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 03:33 PM
ira

You are welcome, B.

Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 03:50 PM

We spent half a day in Toulouse last October. It is an interesting place -- more on this below. And a contrast to the Dordogne -- but I wouldn't exactly lose sleep if I missed it.

It's hard enough to drive into, harder still to leave by car. Yes, it is red, red, red. Beautiful brick buildings. Kinda gritty, which I like.

The walks along the river and the tiny side-streets off the central square are among the most interesting bits.

What is unique about Toulouse is the bustling, thronging street life. We were there on a Sunday evening and the cafes and restaurants were packed, as were the main public spaces. Toulousains walk and stroll and stand and talk. I had never been in a French city quite like it.
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 05:29 PM

>>Sunday evening and the cafes and restaurants were packed, as were the main public spaces. Toulousains walk and stroll and stand and talk. I had never been in a French city quite like it.<<

We were there on a cold, drizzly Saturday night, and you should have seen it then - shoulder-to-shoulder people.

Stu Dudley