1 week trip in April

Dec 13th, 2003, 03:18 AM
Original Poster

1 week trip in April

We have decided to go to Italy to celebrate our anniversary in April (week after Easter). We know a week is not long enough to see much so we have decided to limit to Rome and Florence. Looking for advice on how to divide 8 nights between the 2 cities, how best to travel between the 2 and best way to fly in and out from Newark or Kennedy. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Dec 13th, 2003, 04:03 AM

Can I put in a "plug" for Venice? It's <ib>so romantic for an anniversary & more manageable for a one week trip. There are direct flights from JFK. Perhaps 4 days Venice, a day daytripping to the outer islands of Murano, Burano, Torcello, 3 days in the Veneto (TReviso, Vincenza, Verona etc.)Much more relaxing than Rome & Venice.

Have a look here

http://initaly.com/regions/veneto/sites2.htm
Dec 13th, 2003, 04:17 AM
ira

Hi

Take a look at http://www.flights.com/ to see if they have available seats in the $625 range for EWR/FCO the last week in April.

You might also want to look into flying into FLR out of Rome or VV. The fares aren't much different from a RT from either city. See http://airtravelcenter.com/onetrav.htm

The best way to travel between the two cities is to buy your train tickets in Rome. See www.trenitalia.com/en for schedules and prices. Do not buy a rail pass.

I would do 4 and 4, but you will get other opinions.

Have a great trip. Happy anniversary.

Dec 15th, 2003, 09:20 AM

I'd do 3 nights in Rome, drive up to FLorence stopping 2 nights in S Tuscany for a small town break/experience. Then 2 nights in Florence.
Dec 15th, 2003, 11:04 AM

If you're sold on just Rome & Florence, I'd recommend a 5 / 3 split (5 in Rome, of course). Definitely take the train in between.

You could also make a strong case for 4 nights Rome, 2 nights Florence, and 2 nights in Tuscany or Umbria on your way back to Rome (you can search this site for "favorite Tuscan hill towns," and find HUNDREDS of good options. I'll say Assisi, for no specific reason).
Dec 16th, 2003, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the advice, for the Tuscany or Umbria suggestion is it easy to take a train from Rome stopping along the way at Tuscany or Umbria or do you need to drive?