Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Venice Florence Rome 13 Days - How to split time?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2006, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be spending about 14 days in Italy this October and were wondering how we should split our time. I was initially thinking about 4 nights in each, but then wondered if I would be short-changing myself in one of the cities (particularly Rome?). We have never been, so we will be interested in the most popular sites to visit. Should we add a day anywhere?

Also, previous to these 14 days, we will be spending about 6 days in Paris. Should we take a day out of that and add to Italy?

Thanks!
Old May 19th, 2006, 07:18 AM
ira

Hi KD,

>...we will be spending about 6 days in Paris. Should we take a day out of that and add to Italy?<

I wouldn't.

I suggest 4 nights Venice, 5 nights florence with daytrips to Siena and Bologna, 3 nights Rome. However, I am less enamored of Rome than many.

How are you getting from Paris to Italy?

Old May 19th, 2006, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

We planned on taking a flight from Paris to Venice, then train to Florence, then train to Rome.
Old May 19th, 2006, 07:36 AM

I respectfully have a slightly different opinion than Ira (which is rare). If it were me, I would spend five nights Rome, three nights Florence, four nights Venice.

Although my order of preference for these cities is Venice, Florence and then Rome, Rome is much larger than the other two and needs more time to really see, IMO.
Old May 19th, 2006, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Yes, was thinking that there was probably more to see in Rome. Not that it's necessarily better than the other two, just that there are more sites to visit.
Old May 19th, 2006, 07:57 AM

I agree with Statia and respectfully disagree with Ira. I find Rome most enjoyable when you have enough time to just relax and take time off from your "official" sightseeing. There's plenty to fascinate you that's not going to be on your list of must-sees. That includes hanging out in a tiny piazza, sipping wine and watching the departing sun.

Have a great trip!
Old May 19th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Ok, so I'm thinking 4 nights in Venice, 3 nights in Florence, 5 nights in Rome.

Or...is it crazy not to book an apartment/hotel in the cities, and play it by ear? That way, if we feel like we're not done with Florence in 3 days, we can stay one more? I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to do that, though.
Old May 19th, 2006, 09:16 AM

With booking and then changing dates, bear in mind that apartments/hotels might not have availability if you decided to stay longer at the last minute. If it were me, I would make a decision and stick to it.

You still might get some more opinions on how many days in each city, as well. All opinions together might make up your ultimate decision.

Good luck.
Old May 19th, 2006, 09:18 AM

Something I've done, and you may want to consider, is instead of a daytrip do an overnight. Your itinerary has room for it if you're the don't-mind-packing-up types. Some people hate doing this. It doesn't bother me.

You could, say, have 4 nights Venice, 3 nights Florence, 1 night Siena or Assisi or Orvieto or San Gimignano and then 5 nights Rome. I love those hilltowns at night.

I would definitely book ahead for Rome, Florence and Venice unless you don't mind overpaying for a crappy hotel/apartment.
Old May 19th, 2006, 09:19 AM

Now that I think about it, what are your interests on this trip? For instance, if you are a huge art fan, then it might be better to have 4 days in Florence and only 3 in Venice.
Old May 19th, 2006, 09:33 AM

Hi

I would spend more time in Rome. I have only been to Rome and Venice and in my opinion there is far more to see and do in Rome compared to Venice. I have posted a trip report with pictures and links from Rome on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com/rome_italy.htm and from venice on http://gardkarlsen.com/italy_venice.htm . Maybe you can find some useful info there

Regards
Gard
Stavanger, Norway
Old May 19th, 2006, 09:47 AM

Since it is your first trip to Italy and will be doing the major sights, I would suggest 4 full days in Rome, 4 days Florence, with a day trip to Siena or another town of interest in Tuscany, and 3 days Venice.

IMO, Rome has much to keep you busy with during the day and has many important sights that you must see, so four days should be enough to cover that.

Florence is more of a wandering city where you see a major museum in the morning or afternoon and spend the other part of the day seeing the history and going through the markets or watching sunset.

Venice is also a wonderful city, where there is much to see and do but also a lot of getting lost in the narrow street (you should check if the Guggenheim will be open when you go). I find it more of a city where you don't need a set plan for the day.

That is just my opinion, any way in which you see Italy will be wonderful! Don't worry, you cannot go wrong!
Old May 19th, 2006, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Gard for the pics & report, they actually do help. I hope to be able to document our trip as well as you did.

We're mainly focused on seeing the main sites...Colloseum, Vatican, stuff like that. But at the same time, we are also interested and simply hanging out and enjoying our time on vacation (i.e., restaurants, bars, stuff like that).

What is the night-life in these cities? What do younger people w/no children (younger being 20s - early 30s) do for entertainment there (I don't have much time left in that category, so I'll say it while I can).

Anyway, thanks so much for the help so far.