Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

From Amsterdam to Paris to _______ wine region. How would YOU fill in this blank?

From Amsterdam to Paris to _______ wine region. How would YOU fill in this blank?

Dec 16th, 2003, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

We have narrowed our 8 days in Europe to the following outline:

2 1/2 days in Amsterdam
3 days in Paris
2 1/2 day is _________ wine region.

Can anyone help us fill in the blank? We like a wide variety of wine types/styles and would like to concentrate this portion of the trip on tastings/tours and village life.

Please help me fill in this blank! Our trip will be from April 9-18, 2004.
Dec 16th, 2003, 10:10 AM

Alsase!!!
Dec 16th, 2003, 10:11 AM

Sorry, it's Alsace!!!
Dec 16th, 2003, 10:17 AM
rex

There are too many right answers to this question, but I would have you consider either:

Alsace, and the nearby area along the Rhine in northern Black Forest which is a major fruit-producing region. One of the chief appeals is that there is a whole lot more than just wine production to like there. And it gives you the option of departing from Strasbourg to get back home. Not all wine regions have a substantive airport within their borders.

or

For more "serious" wine admirers, anywhere from Dijon to the Rhone valley from Lyon-Avignon is a quintessentially French capital of wine and gastronomy. You could fly out of Lyon, or take a fast train back frm Avignon. Or just return back to Paris by rail/ground trasnportation if you concentrated just on Burgundy.

Best wishes,

Rex
Dec 16th, 2003, 10:21 AM

I second the Rhone valley but Alsace is probably closer logistically.
Dec 16th, 2003, 10:36 AM

With just 2-1/2 days, I'd only try to visit Champagne and Alsace, at most. Visit a cave in Reims or Epernay, for example, and try the Alsace wine route.
Dec 16th, 2003, 05:33 PM

Reims and Alsace are doable. You can drive from Paris in the morning and do Reims the same day - Visit the Cathedral, the coronation of many of the Kings, and visit two or more champagne caves located right in town. We went to Piper Heidseck. They had a very good tour.

Here's a link to towns and hotels in the Alsace area and the wine route. http://www.visit-alsace.com/hotels/hotels_ang_3e.html