9 day trip-Flying in & out of Rome. Where should we go? Venice, Florence

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2010, 11:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are going to Italy in early October and we are flying in and out of Rome from Texas. Where else should we go (Venice, Florence), and for how long in each location? Please let us know what you think!Thank you!!
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 05:01 AM

You've posted this as a trip report...you might want to fix that to get more responses.

How long do you have for your vacation? What are your interests? What kind of a trip do you want? Do you want to drive? Do you prefer to stay in one place and not move about too much.

Depending on that, you could just go to Rome, Venice, Florence or just Rome, or Rome and the Amalfi Coast, or Rome, Florence and the Tuscany countryside, or Venice, Florence and the Tuscany countryside.

If you can, I'd suggest getting an open jaw or multi city ticket, where you fly into Rome, and out of Venice or vice versa
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 05:04 AM

Oh sorry, you said you have nine days. Of those nine days day 1 and the last day will be gone in travelling.

With that time frame, I'd suggest just Rome with maybe a day trip thrown in.
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 05:13 AM

It sounds like you already have tickets or I would suggest flying open jaw.

Does 9 days include travel time or will you have 9 nights on the ground?

Depending on your interests and with 9 nights, I would choose one other location. For me, that would be Florence, and I would head there upon arrival in Rome, stay 4 nights then enjoy the rest of the time in Rome, making a day trip if you desire.
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 05:45 AM

I agree with kfusto, with 9 days you should consider only one other location in addition to Rome.

In order to provide the best advice, it would help to know your interests. Do you like cities or prefer rural areas? Would you like an active vacation (biking, hiking) or do you want to see the cultural wonders of Italy? Or a little of both? Art? Good restaurants?
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

sam86

How do I change this from a trip report, I'm new to Fodors? Also we have 9 nights after the first night being taken out for travel. My husband wants to spend 1 night in Venice, 2 nights in Florence, and the rest in Rome. What do you think?
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 06:07 PM

One night in Venice is not much - I think one night might be frustratingly short. (A caveat - I'm a Venice nut case.)
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

kfusto & mamcalice,

We have 9 nights after the first night being taken out for travel. My husband wants to spend 1 night in Venice, 2 nights in Florence, and the rest in Rome. What do you think? Also were really interested in the night life because my husband owns a bar so were definitely night owls but we also want to do a wine tour and take a gondola ride. We want to go to great restaurants and bars and really enjoy the scenery and culture. Any advice will help, thanks a lot!!
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 06:11 PM

I think you can just flag it for the editors using the triangle with the exclamation mark near the top of this page.

My answer to your other question depends on what you want out of this vacation. So 1 night in Venice, 2 in Florence leaves 6 for Rome. That is reasonable for a first time visit to Rome. But may I ask why your husband wants just one night in Venice? Why not 2 in Venice, 2 in Florence, 5 in Rome? Gives you a taste of everything better I think.
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 06:21 PM

If you decide on sam86's schedule of Venice 2, Florence 2, Rome 5, PLUS you have purchased your flights roundtrip to Rome, then I suggest you try this itinerary:

Day 1: arrive Rome; immediately train to Florence; sleep Florence
Day 2: Florence
Day 3: train to Venice; sleep Venice
Day 4: Venice
Day 5: train to Rome; sleep in Rome
Day 6: Rome
Day 7: Rome
Day 8: Rome
Day 9: fly home

By putting all your Rome days together, you save travel time and backtracking.
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 06:31 PM

Or maybe on Day 1 - arrive Rome, immediately train to Venice, sleep in venice.

Etc.

Depends somewhat on your flight arrival time in Rome. Rome airport to Venice by train is about four hours, maybe a little more.
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 08:05 PM

"Depends somewhat on your flight arrival time in Rome. Rome airport to Venice by train is about four hours, maybe a little more."

Never mind making the connection from the airport to Roma Termini station, which adds another hour. That's why I suggested Florence, since Roma Termini to Florence is 90 minutes. Heading to Florence first, you may still have a good part of the day left, depending on arrival time.
Old Aug 18th, 2010, 08:53 PM

A few years ago, I did Rome/Florence/Venice in 10 days (you can click my name to see my trip report). Looking back, I wish I had spent more time in Florence to have time for the city to grow on me. But I will revisit it on another trip.

It sounds like you are more interested in Venice, so I would suggest 4 days in Rome and 4 days in Venice, allowing for 1/2 day train to Venice (and back). Or you could choose 4/5 days in Rome and 4/3 in Florence.
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 12:06 AM

ellenem makes a good point about going on to Florence if you can do it, but I understand completely if you don't want to add any more travel onto the first day (I would have nightmares about falling asleep on the train and missing my stop!). Another option is to do 3 nights Rome on the front end, then early morning train to Venice for 2 nights (at a minimum - it takes too long to get there to just do an overnight. amd besides, it's Venice!), then train to Florence for 2 or 3 nights (3 nights would give you a little bit of room for a day trip to Siena or another hilltown if you wanted to), then a morning train back to Rome for the last afternoon and evening. Rome/Venice/Florence is a classic first time tour, and 9 days is enough time to get a good feel for the place, and to decide where you want to return to.