1 week for Germany and Switzerland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 09:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a family of 5 (kids 17, 14 and 10) who would like to visit Germany and Switzerland following a Western Med cruise in July 2011. We have never been to Europe but have travelled quite a bit. We would love suggestions for what to try to see and how to see it. Our cruise ends in Barcelona so that is our starting point. I would love to see the Bavarian region of Germany and I have read amazing things about the Berner Oberland area in Switzerland. Since there are 5 of us, hotels are always an issue. We would love to try something different like the farms or B&Bs but I am not sure where to pick as a base to be able to cover what we'd like to see. We are an active family so outdoor activities would be great but some down time from the cruise wouldn't be bad either. The 7 days are not cut in stone. We may extend this is we have a plan. I have read that a car isn't needed for Switzerland but it seems like it may be easier to have one for certain things. Any suggestions wouldn't be greatly appreciated. We are open to any and all suggestions.
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 10:09 PM

Hi abseas,

I suggest you focus on either Bavaria or the Berner Oberland, as one week isn't long enough to really experience either. It'll take you a day to get from Spain to either one, and then a day to get between the Oberland and Bavaria as well. So I would either drop one area or make your trip 10-14 days.

It's also a bit cheaper staying in one place -- you could opt for an apartment instead of a hotel, you have the time to shop at supermarkets instead of relying on hotels, and you save on transportation costs.

No, you really don't need a car in Switzerland nor really in Bavaria either. In Switzerland two of your children travel for free on the trains (under 16 years old). And the best villages and none of the mountaintops allow cars.

If you want more information on the Oberland area, enjoy this site:

www.myjungfrau.ch

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 10:10 PM

er, sorry. You can shop in supermarkets instead of relying on *restaurants* My brain is still in bed --

s
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 02:56 AM

"In Switzerland two of your children travel for free on the trains (under 16 years old)."

With the German rail, children under 15 also travel for feee if in company of their parents or grand-parents.
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 06:21 AM
ira

Hi AB,

>Our cruise ends in Barcelona so that is our starting point. I would love to see the Bavarian region of Germany and I have read amazing things about the Berner Oberland area ....<

Choose one and save the other for next time.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions. I was afraid I may be trying to see too much in too short of time...I got carried away with the excitement of planning. Factoring in the kids, which area would likely be more exciting/interesting for them?
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 08:13 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Well I'd pick Switzerland, but then I love it there(!) and have never been to Germany. While a car might offer a little more flexibility, I think riding the trains is fun, and would be great for your kids (they can walk around on the train, not be stuck sitting in the car so much). I'd choose Switzerland and plan an itinerary that can be done by train.
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 08:23 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We used DRAWBRIDGE TO EUROPE, a US based agency, that specializes rentals in Germany and Switzerland. Renting a chalet or apartment would work well for your family.We were very pleased with their service and the property we rented. I recommend the Berner Oberland over Bavaria for more spectacular scenery.