Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Germany and Switzerland trip planning question

Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning to travel to Germany and Switzerland in the mid-July with my husband and our 16-years old son.
Never been to Switz before, and need some help planning our time there. We like history, museums, art, and great scenery.
We've been to Romantic Road 3 years ago, and this time I thought we see Mosel, Rhine towns and castles, Black Forest, possible some Bavarian Alps and get to Sw. We are active travelers, have no problem driving.
Is it too much for 15-16 days? What are the must-see places on the route I outlined?
I just started planning, and appreciate any suggestions.

I posted this message also on the Swittzeland board and realized that it may be misleading not to mention Germany in the title.
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 10:02 AM

kiramoli,

There is no "Switzerland board". All post go to the European board.

The Switzerland link is for previous post research, which I recommend you take advantage of.

In fact, if you would do a little research in both areas and then came back with specific questions, it would be most helpful.

For example, how long do you have, how are you going to travel (car or train), etc., etc. For example, not much difference between the Bavarian Alps and the Swiss Alps.

Give us more info, you are talking a lot of territory.

C
Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 10:09 AM
JonJon

I disagree about there not being "much difference" in the "Bavarian" and the "Swiss" Alps...yeah, they both look like mountains and they both have trees...except the ones in Switzerland are considerably HIGHER than the ones in Bavaria...

Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 10:31 AM
rex

To those visitors to the forum who re ONLY interested in one country, and automatically "select on" Germany or Switzerland, everytime they come here, there actually is, in that a "Germany board" ad a "Switzerland bord". It can make quite difference in how far one chooses to scroll back on periodic (i.e., for example, daily) visits to the forum.

Case in point: click on Switzerland, and the one "front page" (50 threads), you see that THOSE posts go back three weeks, on a single page. Of course, that doesn't mean that thiese are the only 50 threads that have mentioned Switzerland in ny wy. But they are the only ones for which the original poster wanted "the Switzerland crowd" to see it for sure, and ths clicked on Switzerland at they time they iniited the posting.

By contrast, the "entire Europe board" shows only the past NINETY minutes, on the "front page" (50 threads with the most recent postings).

Anyway, the change n the message header - - to reflect the interest in Germany - - is more than enough reason for this re-post.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 04:20 AM

kiramoli, Am I dreaming or did you ask this previously? I even remember posting, but then I could be having a senior moment I suppose. Triberg? Lindau? Schaffhausen? No? Sounds like a wonderful trip. J.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 06:46 PM
rex

Yes, previously re-posted, as inicated in this initial posting. And of course, you can always check this yourself, by clicking on any person;s name.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 05:33 AM

Thanks, rex, I always forget that one can click on the writer's name and voila, read everything they've written. Sort of scary. I'll bet we all come across better in small doses. J.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 08:35 AM

15 or 16 days should be fine. Maybe 5 or 6 days for the Mosel/Rhein. 2 or 3 days moseying down through the Black Forest, and then a week or so in the Alps. Sounds like a plan to me.
Old Feb 25th, 2004, 10:40 AM

I stayed in Cochem over night, it was a nice little city on the Mosel with a cool castle on the top of a hill that gives tours during the day. And at night you could see it from our window and they had it illuminated nicely. We went to Trier as well, which is a cool little Roman-esque city with its own little colluseum and the big black gate.