1 800 FlyEurope

Sep 7th, 2005, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

1 800 FlyEurope

Hi

I've been appalled by airfares for Italy next March. We are determined to fly into Venice and can leave from almost any Northeast US city.

Doing several checks on sites recommended here, the best fare by far that I came up with is from 1 800 FlyEurope. This was 450 compared to 596 as the cheapest anyplace else.

I checked this forum for reports on 1 800 FlyEurope and there were no recent reports. If anyone can tell me that they had good luck with this company, I would appreciate hearing it, or the opposite for that matter.

Any hints or suggestions for cities in the Northeast that have direct flights to Venice would be greatly appreciated.
Sep 7th, 2005, 07:27 PM

You're appalled by $596? I'd say GRAB IT! I paid $1100 for coach for myself and my two kids to Paris this summer - granted, we booked last minute as my father was dying - and then died, after which we knew we could go - but GEEZ! if you get any fare under $700 for the next year, grab it!

Never heard of FlyEurope, but if they're offering fares like that it's certainly worth checking them out. At $450 (ARE you talking dollars), that's insanely cheap!
Sep 7th, 2005, 07:36 PM

I used 1800flyeurope to book my tickets to Rome-- leaving on the 18th. I talked to someone over the phone and they were very nice, and very patient with my requests and million questions. I have no complaints. Lets just see if the tickets get me to rome
Sep 7th, 2005, 07:39 PM

We've booked with 1800flyeurope many times. Best bet is to do your shopping first, with regard to flights and times, then phone (as opposed to booking online), as you may be offered an additional 10% discount for booking immediately, for way less, along with an offer for trip insurance, optimal coverage at rock bottom prices, if you know what you're doing.

You've gotta have done your shopping and homework though.
Sep 7th, 2005, 07:45 PM
Original Poster

St Cirq

You are, of course, right. I shouldn't be appalled at all. However, for the past few years (we always go in February and March) I've been able to do so much better.

We are in the horrible airline market of Pittsburgh, and have been flying to Rome every winter for less than 500 USD.

This year, with airline prices rising, we are dead flat broke from having a wedding for the only daughter, HRH Bridezilla. UGH...

Anyway, I've been trying to entertain myself a little by planning for Italy this coming winter. I think I might be trying too early.

I read on an old thread, written by bobthenavigator, whose information I trust, that consolidator fares are best 90 to 120 days out. Maybe I should relax and forget about this for a little while.

There always seem to be winter sales, so I might find one, but the way the airlines and oil markets are, I sort of hate to wait.

yadda yadda yadda, I guess.

You are right; I've found some good fares.

Thanks
Sep 7th, 2005, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

djkbooks: I'm trying my best to do my homework. I hope to gather more information on which airlines have direct flights to Venice from the US. Have any ideas? I appreciate your tip to gather all my information and then call them on the phone. Thanks.
Sep 7th, 2005, 08:10 PM

tuscanlifeedit, after reading positive posts here, I just used them to book tix for JFK to Frankfurt for Thanksgiving.

They're the same outfit as autoeurope (which I didn't know). Anyway, they were great to work with. I'd been checking Mobissimo and suspected the 1-800 offer was with Delta which they confirmed for me before I booked. After I got my confirmation from them I called Delta and made my seat assignments without any problems.

I hope they work out well for you too. Our tix ended up being $450 which was fine for me after paying $829 for Paris in July (I booked in Feb and only saw the price go up after that). Good luck.

St.Cirq, condolences to you on the loss of your father.
Sep 7th, 2005, 09:19 PM

You may be booking a little too soon. Rule of thumb, fares tend to drop anywhere from six to twelve weeks before the flight. This is the point where the airlines are trying to book if there are alot of vacant seats on the flight. Then prices begin to steadily increase the last month. I booked a trip in October of 2004 for a March 2005 trip to Paris for over $400, two days after I returned I found a flight for the first week of May for $325 tax included and this was from Chicago. Now you know I couldn't pass that up. If you are a night owl try searching after 1:00 AM on a Thursday morning. Most airlines post specials after Wednesday night but very short window.
Sep 7th, 2005, 09:29 PM

<groan> Why did you have to tell me about this site? I checked my flight to Paris (leaving Sept. 28) that I bought 2 weeks a go, and now it's $50 cheaper (even going thru AA's site directly)!! I thought they would get MORE expensive closer to the departure date, but apparently not in this case. I know, $50 isn't all that much, considering the cost of the whole trip, but still... <sigh>

Oh, well--I have them bookmarked for next time.
Sep 8th, 2005, 03:28 AM
RJD

It is, as others have said, a waiting game to get the best fare, but I have never been able to get the best fare from 1800 FlyEurope. Possibly because I find the site a little difficult to navigate. When I find a good fare I try to duplicate it on the airline's web site or over the phone with them. A ticket from the airline itself has certain advantages, especially if you have a change of plans or want specific seats.
Sep 8th, 2005, 05:24 AM

I used them last year but havne't found them that competitive recently. I learned about them here.

$450 for Venice sounds cheap, actually.

I just went to Italy and flew Eurofly. They don't fly directly to Venice, but they fly directly to Bologna. If you're interested in making your way to Venice by stopping in a few other towns, that's not a bad way to go.

I paid $544 for my ticket (taxes included), which I thought was good for Labor Day weekend.

In 4 days I was able to go to Florence, Padova, Venice, Bologna and Siena.

The train ride between Bologna and Venice is about 2 hours on the Eurostar train, but I took an IC from Mestre.

Have a great trip!
Sep 8th, 2005, 05:29 AM

I should have added -- I flew from JFK with Eurofly.
Sep 8th, 2005, 06:57 PM

I used 1800flyeurope for a trip from Boston to Paris last year. Their fare was cheaper (about $150) than any other I could find (and I checked a lot of sites). I was even able to get frequent flyer miles (on American Airlines).