800Fly Europe

Old Nov 30th, 2005, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
800Fly Europe

I'm looking at tickets to Italy for late February. Prices have been stable for a few months. I broadened my search last night from the normal engines (Orbitz, etc) to some of the discount web sites. I found a ticket that was about $100 cheaper on 800FlyEurope.Com.

The short of it is, has anyone used them in the past? How was it? I've heard mixed things about consolidators in the past and am wondering if it's worth $100 of trouble more than going direct from the airline!

Thanks!
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 06:05 PM

What would be the trouble?

I've used 800FlyEurope off and on for many years (depending on their fares). They could not be more helpful and delightful on the phone. AND, you must respond to a confirmation e-mail before your tickets are finalized, giving you an extra chance to double check all the details, or even change your mind - a wonderful feature, I think.

I recently booked fares to Paris for next May ($150 less) and September ($232 less!!!) after shopping all resources. Actually, I hadn't even started shopping our September dates until the favorable May fare came up.

Everything turns on your dates and what's available the moment you happen to be shopping.

In my experience, if you're shopping three months ahead, fares are more likely to go up than down, unless you're ridiculously "flexible", and it's best to grab the best possible fare, with the fewest and best connections, when you can.

Usually, I prefer to book with the airline direct if the price difference is not significant. But, for $100 I'd recommend 800FlyEurope.

Old Nov 30th, 2005, 06:12 PM

I have used them quite a few times also. However, you should be aware that at least in my experience, their cancellation policies can be different than if you book directly with the airline. So if you need to buy travel insurance, that would raise the price.
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 06:55 PM
Doble_Vergasser

There is a recent thread where some people talked about 1800flyeurope.
"I put the airfare search engines to the test".

I topped it for you.

Old Nov 30th, 2005, 08:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the topper.

I guess the problems are something like the less-friendly cancellation policies. But I have to admit that I was also worried about not having anyone I could face if things went sour--as much as a pain as an airline can be, at least there's someone at a counter you can talk to!

The flights they're showing me are the exact ones I saw on Delta.com and Orbitz, just $100 cheaper. The times match, so it's the same flights.
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 03:56 AM
ira

Hi M,

Also check fares on http://www.kayak.com/s/index.jsp

I have bought tickets many times from various consolidators. They are no worse than dealing with the airlines.