Which line for Med Cruise?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2004, 09:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are seriously thinking about a med cruise for our 30th anniversary. We want to go 7 to 10 days and start from Barcelona. I know RCCL has one, also Princess. Can some of you who have done one of these or any other line comment on why you liked or disliked your choice. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 10:29 AM

we are going on the Brilliance of the Seas out of Barcelona on June 17th, 2005. I can't wait!!

Check out www.cruisecritic.com for further advice
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

Hi Drummer, Is that a 7 day cruise? Did you pick it because of itinerary, dates, the cruise line or word of mouth or price? I'm just curious. I only know 1 couple who have been on a med cruise and they were on a Renaissance ship which are gone. Thanks.
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 08:04 PM

Oceania bought two of the Renaissance ships (and a third one in late 2005). People who have sailed both tell me that Oceania is a lot like Renaissance, but better. We just got back from an Oceania Med cruise, and loved it.
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 04:06 PM

zwho-

When we did the Med the first time, we did a 12 day on Princess-in the middle of Sept ( great weather)....was perfect to spend that much time in all the different cities and countries....

Then we did it a 2nd time, about 3 years ago, and did the Windsurf ( a 4 masted sailing yacht) and loved it EVEN more! As this ship could get into smaller ports and and was very romantic..it had open seating dining and was ideal for us...most of the people on the Windsurf were fairly well travelled and wanted to try a "smaller ship"---it was WONDERFUL!
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 05:18 PM

Recently took Celebrity to the med -- RT from Rome and LOVED it. I believe they have an itinerary from Barcelona.
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 06:51 AM

zwho, we too have cruised in the Med many times on small and large ships...all were fantastic! Given a choice, I would definitely opt for a small ship. IMO, the smaller the ship, the better. As Andy mentioned, you're able to go into ports where larger ships can't go and the overall experience is superior. I have never cruised on Windsurf but it gets rave reviews and I'd love to try it! Our favorite Med cruises have been on Radisson ships (rssc.com) so you may look into those as well.
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 06:12 PM

Abram: Oceania IS Rennaisance (Sp?). The Pres/owner9s0 of Oceania are the smae ones that did Ren. Frank del Rio or something like that.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 01:09 PM

I have a friend that loves Oceania although as she admits, the cabins are smallish. Another concern (or could be a concern if you're a smoker) is they do not allow smoking inside your own cabin or on your own balcony. The only other negative I've heard is that the corkage fee they charge for bringing your own wine to dinner is outrageous.
Old Nov 4th, 2004, 08:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your answers. I still am not certain. I really like the idea of a smaller ship, Oceania, and I want a really good itinerary. I guess its going to boil down to how much time my husband can get away for and how much we can afford to spend.