What ID is required?

Search

What ID is required?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 2006, 09:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What ID is required?

We are going on a Carnival cruise out of Galveston to Cozumel and back in September of this year. What type of ID will I need?

I have my DL and birth certificate. Do I need a passport to get on/off the ship in Mexico or is the birth certificate enough? I know that from Dec. 31 of this year on you will need a passport, but what about before. Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 03:55 AM

Go to US Dept of State website - it has current and legal info. But also check with what documents the cruiseline may require you to have - they may be more restrictive.

You still have time - get a passport.
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 09:33 AM
P_M

Does the name on your DL match the name on your birth certificate? If you've ever had a name change, such as marraige, you will need proof of that too.

But having said all that, I agree that you s/get a passport. The entire process will be a lot faster and easier if you have a passport. And besides, you have to get one sooner or later anyway if you ever want to travel again.

You will not take your birth certificate or passport off the ship when it's docked in Mexico.
Old Jul 20th, 2006, 03:31 PM

You are required to have only proof of identity and citizenship. Proof of identity can be a driver's license or other government-issued photo ID. Proof of citizenship can be a state-issued birth certificate with a raised seal. A passport provides both and is always the best choice when you travel overseas.
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 06:50 PM

i had my DL and original birth cert. on bermuda/bahama cruise and was fine.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 02:52 AM

We sarted crusing 20 years ago & got passsports about 5 years ago. I always used my driver's license and birth certificate. I was NEVER asked for my marriage license or questioned about my name change! They know women get married and change their name! Is that a REAL requirement now??? Just asking out of curiosity...............
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 04:55 AM

My DL has my maiden name as my "middle" name, so I was never asked to provide any additional info aside from my birth certificate. My husband and I are both military brats (Air Force and Navy) and I was born in Germany, with the hubby being born in Cuba. Needless to say, we had VOLUMES of documents to serve as birth certificates, so we switched over to passports a few years ago... MUCH simpler. Our daughter still used her birth certificate, but with the new laws going into effect in January, she's on the fast track to get her passport now too.