Names on Passport

Old Aug 16th, 2005, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Names on Passport

I have traveled all over the country, MX and Canada but have never until recently needed a Passport.

I live in a small "village" and have been given different answers to this question by the person taking my Passport App, so I thought I would run it by the Fodorites before I make a mistake.

My first & middle name on my birth cert is Christian Marie. My social security card says Christina Marie. My drivers license says Tina Marie. I go by Tina Marie.

Then, of course is my last name change due to marriage, but I can reconcile that with my marriage license.

All of my Frequent Flier miles are in Tina Marie "Maiden Name-Married Name"

Question? What first name should I put on my passport and will I have to change all of my FF's to match the passport? I hyphenated my last name when I was married since I was told by the airlines that I would lose all of my miles if I changed the name on my FF accts to my new married name.

Am I the only one with this dilema? Thank you to anyone who can help.
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 03:58 PM

At this point, your FF cards are the least of your concerns. To get a passport, you have to have a government-issued photo ID (such as a driver's license) and a ceritfied birth certificate. At this point, Tina does not have a birth certificate and Christian does not have a photo ID. You need to straighten out all these IDs, using legal advice and the legal name-change process if necessary.
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 04:33 PM

I'm pretty sure you don't just get to pick which name they put on your passport.
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 04:34 PM

Once you get that straightened out, just make sure your plane ticket name matches the one on your passport (your drivers license and social security card have nothing to do with international travel).
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 04:37 PM

This sounds like a simple case of putting an AKA on the passport. I had this issue with my last name. Before I got married, I had both my parents' last name hyphenated. My drivers licence showed that name, but my birth certificate and SS card showed only one last name. My passport was under the name shown on my birth certificate and on a subsequent page my name on my DL license was listed.
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 04:58 PM

I also wanted to ask a question in regards to a passport. My family just had our passport picuters taken and will be applying for passports. I will go to the post office to apply, do I have to surrender the certified birth certificates or do they just look at them to verify? Will they send the birth certificates back if they do mail them with the app? I have to get a certified marriage certificate (to prove name change)and was wondering if I should get extras of my kids birth certificates if I will be surrendering them, but don't want to if I don't need to. I went to the post office yesterday to ask and the line was only about 150 people long, so I walked out. Any info would be great!
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 05:16 PM

We Fodorites try to be very helpful people....and most of us are.
But, please, don't use us as the final authorities on such important issues. Go to the source, please!
The best advice you can get is for someone to give you a phone number of the passport office!
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 05:22 PM

When I applied for my kids' passsports, a few years ago, we did have to surrender the birth certificates, but they were returned to us with the passports. The Post office collects this stuff, but doesn't do much in the way of processing. No need to get extra birth certificates; you can do that in the unlikely event that the ones you send with the passport app are lost.
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 06:12 PM

Thanks anonymous for your help, I kinda figured that was the case...so thanks again.
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 06:17 PM

this all seems to be supportive of women not changing their birth names, esp. as things get more complex!
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 06:22 PM

The OP's situation got complicated because she used 3 different FIRST names on her key documents. There's an easy mechanism in place for changing one's surname, because it's done thru a legal procedure (marriage license) and is done commonly and frequently.
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 06:36 PM

yeah, yeah, it's easy--but worth it?
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 06:37 PM

Easy, sure, but worth it? not in my opinion..
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 07:16 PM

As with others, please check with the authorities for the correct information. I truly think you need to get all straightened out...and you should pick the name you want!
I applied for my passport in 1997. I had to surrender my original birth certificate but honestly don't remember showing photo id...this may have changed since 9/11. I received my passport and birth certificate back together.
Regarding the FF, you would not lose your FF miles with a married name change. I emailed each airline and followed up with a faxed copy of the email, along with a copy of my marriage certificate. All was moved over to my new last name.
BIGGEST problem I have had....my passport "front" still shows my maiden name. I mailed away my passport for adjustment in 2003 with my certified marriage certificate. It came back to me, looking quite the SAME. There is a small addendum on the very back of the passport telling of the "new" last name. Now, I MUST wait in line for international flight check-in because the name on my passport barcode does NOT match my ticket last name. If I have the ticket made out to maiden name, I forfeit FF so I just won't do that! As I do not check luggage and you now can scan your passport at the e-ticket self-check in, this is a BIG pain! Save yourself the trouble by getting the passport done correctly the first time! Even though I haven't had problems, an Aruba official told me that I needed to have a copy of my marriage license with me since the passport was changed. They didn't hassle me but I really am not about to carry more things around with me on vacation than necessary.
Good luck!
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 09:54 PM

Here's my experience. I was born Mary Monica but have always been called Monica. Sometime around college I got sick of doctors, teachers, etc., calling me Mary so I reversed the order on my drivers license. Then when I got married the SS office decided that I needed my drivers license and SS card to match so they reversed the order too. When I got my passport, I put down my legal name (Mary Monica) because that's what my birth certificate says but they sent back the passport "Monica Mary" with a note saying why they made the switch. So send in the application any way you want, they'll change your name to be what they want anyhow!
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 04:50 AM

"BIGGEST problem I have had....my passport "front" still shows my maiden name. I mailed away my passport for adjustment in 2003 with my certified marriage certificate. It came back to me, looking quite the SAME. There is a small addendum on the very back of the passport telling of the "new" last name. Now, I MUST wait in line for international flight check-in because the name on my passport barcode does NOT match my ticket last name."

I had the same situation, and have sometimes thought of simply "losing" my passport and reporting the loss to the State Department so that I can get a new one altogether! I always hand it over saying, "The name change is on page 24." Then the person checking cannot find the page, or stops up short to really look at me and the photo, and my appearance has changed somewhat due to weight loss and contact lenses.

On the other hand, I sometimes wonder whether the TSA personnel at airports are even literate. Several times during my trip out west a few weeks ago, both in the Salt Lake City and Seattle airports, TSA agents "looked" at the passport and boarding pass and handed it back without noting the two completely different names while I stayed mum.

Old Aug 17th, 2005, 05:23 AM

vegasnative......Can you "apply" at your county clerk's office? Some states and or counties, yes, some no.All those pesky "tourists" in the line at the PO may not know about the CC office..Good Luck!
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 05:42 AM

August 15 is an extra-busy day for the Post Office because it's the due date for mailing income tax forms if you filed for an extension in April. People wait in line to find out whether they have to put an extra stamp on their envelope full of forms, or they want certified delivery for it, etc. The lines might be shorter today. Don't go during lunch hour, though, that's the busiest hour at most places; second-busiest time is the last hour they're open.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone that contributed feedback to my dilema. After getting different answers from different people (including 3 post-offices and a AAA office) I believe (hope) I found my answer.

I have to of course submit my Birth Cert, Marriage License and DL - however, to go by Tina Marie (which is the name I have been going by since elementary school) I need to include with my application at least 3 "Public Record" documents. They can be: School Records, College Diploma, Mtge Filings, Payroll Records, Tax Forms, etc.....

So, I will be off today to complete my app and reconcile my name for good! After 41 years I will finally have an "official" name!

I thought this info would be helpful to anyone else who might be in my dilema.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 02:02 PM

beachboi,
not sure if I can apply at the county recorders office, I'll look into that when I go to get a copy of marriage certificate....weird that I have never had one...hmmm, wonder if I'm legally married...j/k! The post office I went to didn't have any pesky tourists, just pesky locals, but it was on the 15th and anonymous said that is the day for taxes due for those that filed for extension...just hit it on the worst day I guess. From the other posters it sounds like it is a bit of a nightmare, I have a passport but it is in my maiden name, plus I have to get the kids theirs and one for DH....that is if he really is D"H"!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO