Reload this Page >

Passport - do I need to update

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 12:31 PM
Cruiselady

Will be cruising in about 8 weeks. Was wondering if I needed to renew my passport which has just expired, or if I just need to bring my birth certificate and I can use the passport as a photo id?

Old Jun 20th, 2002, 01:19 PM
dale

duh, if your passport already expired then it is useless! Either renew it or else get a certified birth cirtificate and picture id.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 01:26 AM
Paul Thearault

Hi Cruiselady,<BR><BR>If you are cruising the Caribbean you may use an expired passport. Or you may bring your birth certificate (or certified copy) with a picture ID. You see the passport has the same info whether expired or not.<BR><BR>Paul<BR><BR>

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 05:50 AM
xman

If you have your expired passport you can easily renew it within 30 days or less.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 08:54 AM
Cruiselady

Thank you! I really appreciate the information. I was debating whether I should renew now or wait. I remember it took several weeks for me to get my original passport. I was also concerned that since 9/11, they may be stricter about what you need to bring as identity.

Old Jun 21st, 2002, 09:10 AM
JP

Like Paul says, a recently expired US passport is accepted as ID for arrivals from the Caribbean (and from elsewhere, for that matter; it's the other countries that care). I've done this even when I have an unexpired one at home, just so I won't risk losing the newer one.

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 12:13 AM
Paul Therault

Good idea JP. I never thought of that. My birth certificate is getting a bit beat up.<BR><BR>FYI.... Traveling in foreign countries (not Caribbean) requires that passports can NOT expire within 6 months of your sailing date. VERY important these days to watch the expiration date on your passport.<BR><BR>Paul

Old Jun 22nd, 2002, 02:28 PM
something

Alaska, Hawaii, Mexico, Canada:<BR><BR>Photo ID (expired passport will do also)<BR>& a CERTIFIED copy (or original) Birth Certificate. <BR><BR>Places such as Europe, Asia, Panama Canal and South America you need a VALID (non-expired passport).<BR><BR>and contrary to what many people think, the cruise line cannot do anything for you if you don't have proper identification.