COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Transatlantic

Old Aug 13th, 2008, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Transatlantic

I plan to take a transatlantic cruise next spring. This will be a first time experience for us. Our first priority is to find a small ship. Secondly a few ports to explore along the way would be interesting. What I have observed is that most ships seem to dock at 6:00pm and depart early the following morning. Is that typical? Certainly that does not leave any time to tour a new locale. I've also noted that many ships make no stops at all along the way. Is anyone familiar with the Seabourn line? I'd really appreciate hearing from experienced transatlantic travelers so that I might plan our voyage properly. Thank you
Old Aug 13th, 2008, 08:39 AM

Hello,

Cunard is the premium, classic transatlantic cruise voyage, but you are looking for a smaller ship experience. It is quite common that the itineraries don't stop at many, if any, ports along the way. Most of the cruises, other than Cunard, are re-positioning cruises to move ships between from summer season in Europe to Caribbean for the winter.

Seabourn is a luxury cruise line and has many devoted guests and certainly is wonderful. You might look into Regent, which is all-inclusive, all-suites, luxury and has smaller ships (around 700 passengers and public spaces are excellent - it doesn't feel crowded. Regent has a casual elegant style. Windstar Cruises are cruise ships that feel much like sailing ships or yachts, complete with masts, and they are newly-remodeled, casual, small ship experiences - they often have additional ports on their transatlantic voyages.

Best Regards,
Julia
Old Aug 13th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Julia

I've never heard of Regent so I will be happy to research their cruise line. I am familiar with Windstar but feel that their ships might be a bit small for a transatlantic voyage. Your reply was very informative and greatly appreciated.Thank you.
Old Aug 13th, 2008, 04:41 PM

you also might want to do some research at
www.cruisecritic.com

Each line and their ships are described.
Old Aug 14th, 2008, 03:42 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for that suggestion.
Old Aug 14th, 2008, 11:01 PM

Regent was formerly called Radisson Seven Seas Cruises. Their website is http://www.rssc.com

Another small ship, luxury cruise line you might want to check into is Silversea http://www.silversea.com

I don't follow what you mean by, "What I have observed is that most ships seem to dock at 6:00pm and depart early the following morning."

Generally, when visiting a few ports, either at the beginning or end of a transatlantic repositioning voyage, ships dock in the morning and leave in the late afternoon.

I hope that helps!

Linda
Cruise Diva http://cruisediva.com and author of Fodor's Complete Guide to Caribbean Cruises
Old Aug 15th, 2008, 05:37 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Linda for your response. Since this is an entirely new venue of travel for us I am grateful for all the guidance I can get. I've been researching each and every suggestion which has been fun as well as informative. So now I'll check out your ideas.
Old Aug 15th, 2008, 10:13 AM

We have done the Windsurf, many times, both directions, and had such a wonderful time...just enough people to make it interesting, but not so many as to make it tedious. We are doing Lisbon to Barbados this autumn. They have a wonderful, attentive crew, good food, and the water was always smooth and calm...highly recommend it.
Old Aug 15th, 2008, 02:25 PM

You might also check the Oceania Cruise Lines. We did a TA from Barbados to France on them in 2006 and loved the ship. We only did one port stop in Madera, but I think they have some other routes that make more stops.

Their ships hold about 650, ours had 175 and everybody got upgraded to a veranda cabin. We got upgraded to a penthouse with our own butler.

Some routes they offer free airfare and two for one fares.
Old Aug 18th, 2008, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

You were so lucky to be upgraded to a penthouse with a butler. That must have been the perfect luxury vacation. And only 175 passengers on board too. I will look into Oceania. Thank you for relating your interesting story.
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 03:28 AM
Original Poster

Is there a difference between a transatlantic passage and repositioning voyage? Or are they both basically the same simply using different terminology?
Old Sep 11th, 2008, 06:18 AM

I am trying to find a transatlantic trip that has low or no single supplement.
I am moving to Italy for a few months and want to take a ship.

None of the booking sights offer fares other than double the per person fare.

can ANYONE suggest a website, cruise line etc that offers a lower single supplement?
grazie
Old Sep 24th, 2008, 03:25 PM

Just having come back from our t/a yesterday... I can tell you that a spring t/a is much more iffy with weather and a smaller boat
Old Sep 25th, 2008, 12:18 PM

I could be mistaken but I think I recently read where Regent is currently offering some 2 for 1 / good single supplement type pricing on crossings.