Carnival Liberty- Med. Cruise

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have any info on European Carnival Cruises. We have been on Celebrity and RCCL, but this ship has the itinery we are looking for. Will we really be on a lower quality cruise re: food, service, decor or is that just marketing.Thanks.
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 01:04 PM

I suspect you may have made the perfect choice if you enjoy "hairy chest" contests and the like.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 09:12 AM

Hi, I just found this message you posted in August. My husband and I are in our 50's but prefer "fun activities". I have been on 3 prior Carnival cruises, 1 Royal Caribbean cruise and 1 Norwegean cruise. Never have I seen a "hairy chest contest" on a Carnival ship or any of the others either. Carnival is a mix of ages - great for young, middle, and senior aged guests. We found the Norwegean Line boring and a little too calm and quiet. It did not have the glitz and glamour that Carnival and Royal Caribbean have. Depending on what your interests are, maybe you should just give it a try. The excursions sound fantastic. However, the price has gone up quite a lot since they announced the cruise last summer. Good luck in selecting what is best for you.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 05:10 AM

And in rebuttal, my advice would be to visit other boards like cruisecritic.com and read some of the reviews of Carnival cruises and you will see what TopMan was talking about. I'm sure not all Carnival cruises are that way, but why take a chance - especially when your spending that kind of money for a Med cruise. The other thing to consider is that this is Carnival's first European venture. Do you really want to be the guinea pig. Go with someone who has done it for years - Princess, RCCL or Celebrity.

Peter
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 12:10 PM

Since Carnival is new to the European arena, I am sure they will be trying their hardest to make your cruise a success. I, too, have been on RCCL and Celebrity but still call the Carnival Glory (a sister ship of the Liberty that I am assuming you are going on)my favorite. The food was excellent, far better than RCCL, and the service was great. The decor is a bit loud for my taste, but it was certainly something I could live with. Just remember, the closer you are to their initial sailing of July 20 (?) the more you may have to contend with. I do think you will have fun. And no, there were no hairy chest contests when I sailed!
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 07:45 PM

THis will be our umpteenth cruise on Carnival, and our 1st on an inaugural. The food/service on any of the prior cruises were fine/good. Nothing was "lower" quality. We've gone RCCL (very conservative, as is Princess,) Renaissance. The worst they (Carnival) can do if there is a screw up is give you an on-board credit. It's not likely they'll screw up. It's a vacation. Have a good time. THey'll be trying their best. So the decor is loud. It's lively! They don't call it a funship for nothing!
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 11:46 AM

Hi! Not sure if you are still looking for info, but I've taken 11 cruises (NCL, Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Cunard, Costa). So far we haven't found a ship we didn't like. We found the food on Carnival to be better than some of the other lines, especially their Escargot! My feeling is that is you take a cheap Caribbean 5-day Carnival cruise, you WILL find hairy chest contests and a rowdy bunch of passengers, however, on a Mediterranean cruise (or a cooler weather cruise such as Canada/New England) you'll find passengers much like any that you'll find on any other cruiseline. Just my opinion....
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I have booked it as the timing and itinery were perfect for us. I am apprehensive but from my reading it seems that being a longer and Med. cruise the party crowd is not really goig to factor into this cruise. Anyway we are going to go and intend to have a great time.
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 06:15 AM

I know you have already booked this but I wanted to add my perspective.

YES, you will be on a lower quality cruise!!

I have been on over 100 cruises, 44 with Royal Caribeean, 6 Celebrity, 2 on Carnival. I will not sail Carnival again by choice. However, tt is not the party atmosphere I found offensive.

The decor of Carnival ships is plastic and neon vs the wood and glass you will find on RCI and Celebrity. IMO, it is reminiscent of a bad hotel in Las Vegas. They are overdone and The clientele on CCL was decidely casual and had no respect for CCL's dress code for the dining room. There were as many in flip flops and shorts at dinner as there were well dressed. If this is not a problem for you, then it should be fine.

The food was marginal at best. I ate in port whenever possible. The service was mediocre as well.

The ships felt crowded and the pool area was so jammed with deck chairs that you literally had to slide them out of the line and climb in.

The announcments and efforts to sell you on something another were constant and annoying. I felt like I was in K-Mart and they were having a blue light special every 30 minutes.

After a long day, we often like to watch a movie while relaxing in our cabin. Carnival charges 8.99 per movie, except for the moive of the day.

I found the atmosphere to be loud, vulgar, and low class.

I understand there are devoted Carnival fans but I have to believe that if you like RCI and especially Celebrity, you will be very unhappy with the Liberty.

Old Feb 8th, 2005, 01:20 PM

WE just came off an RCCL cruise out of new orleans. They did have a "sexy man leg contest." That is up there with "hariy chest.'No one had to participate and I think all of the cruises try and entertain. Sometimes it is way to much. Some people really enjoy that and it was mostly 40's and 50's people who become involved. One must make there own fun on vacation. I think if I were going on a MED cruise and it was Carnival I would be excited and love the ports. Sometimes you just have to "take what you like, and leave the rest," when on any vacation or cruise ship no matter what the line. I have been on one Carnival, one Celebrity, and 2 RC, and one Disney. I liked all of the vacations. They were all similar with the exception of Mickey Mouse strolling around. If I had to choose, I would pick RCCL. Most times I have enjoyed there cruises the most.
Old Mar 30th, 2005, 06:52 AM

carnival is the best! most fun. most to do. if you are old and boring, than i agree with kfusto - go with royal carrib.