Search

The Cheap Seats

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2004, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Cheap Seats

Okay,
We need think we need to book the cheapest cabin on our trip to S. Carib. ($700-$800). Can anyone suggest which ship's interior cabins give the best experience? Thanks.
Old May 10th, 2004, 09:10 AM

Hi tabcourt: You didn't give a lot of info, such as when you are going, where you are leaving from, etc. I'll assume you meant you're sailing a 7 day from somewhere like San Juan.

An interior cabin is an interior cabin. Just 4 walls, etc. Most of the new ships are pretty much the same and each one will tell you theirs has something better to offer (i.e. more floor space, etc.). If you get sea-sick easy, these cabins will often make it worse. Try to pick on close to the center of the ship to limit movement.

In your price range will be most of the common big budget friendly lines like Carnival, RCCL, etc.

If the $700-$800 figure is per-person, you should be able to get an outside cabin (7 day). Check the big discounters like icruise or cruise.com for specials.

If that figure is for 2 people, you may find some off season price that will work on an economy line such as Carnival (perhaps a Cat 1a) and hope for a free upgrade.

If you can be more specific, perhaps we can narrow down more options. Hope this helps...
Old May 10th, 2004, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Hold.
I can be more specific:
I am considering leaving from San Juan and my budget figure was indeed per person. We don't get seasick easily, but would opt for a location that minimizes motion. I've read that some of these interior cabins are like broom closets and some are noisy due to proximity to the engines, dining room, gym, etc. We are planning to go 2nd or 3rd week Jan.'05.
Old May 10th, 2004, 02:55 PM

Since inside and outside cabins are across the hall from each other, it seems like they would have an equal chance of being near/under the engines, dining room, gym, etc.

Our inside cabin on Celebrity was beautiful, and a decent size. Princess was not quite as nice, and Orient was so small one of us had to sit on the bed if the other wanted to walk around.
Old May 10th, 2004, 04:36 PM

ohh it reminds me of our trip,we all laugh so hard as all 5 of us stood in the broom closet!Couldnt move inless we got on bunk bed lolo.we could not belive it!Then i thought i got the flu and stay in room alot.just to find out i was really sea sick!Never even seen there big food buffets! im not the best of health and the walk from my room to places was soooooooo long too.im still glad i seen it once in my life time.i wish i would of went when i was younger,alot of partying.
Old May 10th, 2004, 04:57 PM

Hi,

I am a travel agent, specializing in cruises, and I always recommend going with a stateroom guarantee in these situations. You will get the best available prices and you may get a large, free upgrade - in 10 years of experience, I can only think of a few clients who didn't get a really good upgrade. You don't get to choose your cabin, but most people don't spend too much time in their staterooms. Also, if your stateroom ends up being unacceptable, your travel agent can often request a change. Also, cabins to the fore or aft of the ship aren't all bad - they are often more quiet and private than mid-ship locations.

You might check on Holland America, Norwegian or Princess - they also have cruise rates in your price range.

Please feel free to e-mail me if I can offer any assistance!

Best Regards,
Julia
Old May 10th, 2004, 08:56 PM

Julia - could you tell me if FF714 is a good location on the Holland/Veendam? I keep wodnering if we made a good choice and I think we could still make a change. Had to have a room that will accomodate three people. This looked like a good location - this is our first cruise - so I keep thinking of questions. Thanks for your help.
Old May 11th, 2004, 04:16 AM

If you go to the HAl site
(www.hollandamerica.com), click
on fleet at the top and then the
Veendam you can see exactly
where this cabin is.
Which is on the "A" (bottom)
passenger deck towards the bow
& is an outside.
One deck above is Main where you
embark & disembark. Cabin looks fine to me. I was on the Main deck in Jan.