Front, Back, Midship...does it matter?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2004, 07:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I usually try to get midship cabins, but this particular cruise I'm trying to get only has cabins either front or back of ship. Is one better than the other as far as motion?

Liz
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 06:51 AM

My favorite spot on the ship is always, low and mid-ship. If that was not available and I had to choose forward or aft...I'd choose aft.
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 09:28 AM

Here is how I answer this question... Picture a playground see-saw. Put one person at each end, and one in the middle, then observe the motion of all three. Those at both ends go up-and-down a lot, the person in the middle only sways a little, back-and-forth.
The ships motion is identical. That's why the mid-ship cabins are so popular.

In some ships you'll get more engine noise and vibration in the rear of the ship... In some you'll get a large noise each morning in the front of the ship as they drop anchor.

If you're worried about motion, try getting an outside room or a balcony so that you can look out and see the horison..... this usually helps.

You may also want to look at deck plans to see what is above you. We took a free "upgrade" once and had the main showroom directly above our room. We had to stay up until the last show of the night had ended as our room "rocked" with the music of the band, stage dancers, etc.
Hope this Helps
Old Sep 13th, 2004, 02:15 PM

Yes, theoretically mid ship/low deck is is most calm space. But I never felt any difference when I stayed in front or back. Especially on large ships. And when it rocks, it rocks everywhere.
Old Sep 14th, 2004, 07:37 AM

Was in Category 9 storm off New Zealand. I had inside, low midship cabin. I was wakened by the drawers sliding open and then closing. Stuffed socks into sides, and went back to sleep. Next day discovered we had major damage on 11th deck front where plexiglass panels had been broken, radio mast gone, windows in 7 floor lounge broken.

I did stay mainly in my cabin as walking was a problem, but didn't get seasick. Did get major
migraine 24 hours BEFORE storm hit.

My advice,. if you are susceptable to motion, use preventative meds., cabin as low and centered as possible, and when outside, breathe deeply and look at far objects like clouds.