Anyone know the Regal Princess?

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 10:14 PM
tamy

Anyone know the Regal Princess?

Has anyone sailed the Regal lately? I'm wondering how she compares to the newer ships. Have the cabins been updated? What are the public rooms like?
Is the pool area nice? How is the food ? Sorry to ask so many questions but I don't want to be disappointed. We are thinking about her for our honeymoon. We want to go to Hawaii but don't want to fly. Thank you.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 10:48 PM
Paul Therault

Hi Tamy,

I sailed the Regal twice. You must realize the ship was built in 1958 and no matter how much they update, you still have an old ship. It is extremely well maintained. I took a look at the inside cabins and found them rather dark and dreary. The other cabins are fine. The food is good but the buffet does not have a large selection as in the dining room. You will not go hungry. The pool is small compared to other ships. There is plenty of room around the pool and on other decks to lounge and improve your tan.
They do not have huge production shows. It is like a theatre in the round with passenger interaction and is great fun. The bars and lounges are reminescent of bygone days and are really cool. You definitely will meet and can converse with the captain. Regal does not drop you off in a port where you will be on your own but will give you complimentary transportation somewhere of interest in town. The service is very good and all your questions will be answered pleasantly. Regal has to give you a good value for your money since it is up against quite massive competition.

Just keep in mind it is a budget cruise and you will not be electrified.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

Paul

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 09:53 AM
bobb

The Regal Beagle

Congrats on your nuptials! However, this ship is a dog. I went on a 3 day cruise to nowhere last June. Of course I get that it is a nostalgia sort of ship and budget too-- being an old liner and all-- but I hated it.

There was not enough outdoor space. I scrounged for chairs, and finally got one. But it was a chair, NOT a chaise. The pool is very small and there is simply not enough room around it. The upper deck sunning area appears much larger on the deck plans than it is in real life. Maybe 12 chairs up there total. The upstairs bar was never open.

The food is good, not incredible, but OK. The service was nice but far too rushed. If you show up late for dinner you don't get in. The window of opportunity is about 15 minutes. There was a uniformed security guard!!! I'm not sure what that said about the clientele. But a trip to Hawaii might draw a slightly less rowdy crowd than a weekender. This on had a lot of pickled people dancing to some Irish band called the "Cooney Tunes" I think.

I stayed in one of the 2 Admirals suites-- the only room that has a bathtub. Still we called the bathroom "the outhouse". It was pretty good sized, but had been tiled by, well maybe one of the passengers let their kids do it. Water ran all over the floor no matter what we did to prevent it.

The cabin had a bedroom and a sitting area so it was pretty good sized, but they took down a rather chic looking 50's room divider and built a wall separating the two spaces. It was sort of pepto abbismol colored, and the curtains-- oh forget it. I think they cut up one of Bozo's old costumes. Remember I was in the best stateroom on the ship. Imagine what some of the smaller one's are like-- everything else only has a shower, a REALLY tiny shower!!

The ship does have some old touches if you look for them. Some art and woodworking etc. I went with an ocean liner enthusiast (I am sure you have heard of those) so that was our raisnon d'etre. Look around there are still some great pieces here and there. The stairwells are still 50's glamorous, though the elevator was put in by Mr Otis himself.

The dining room has inlaid artwork of old ships (Greek?) And I was very impressed with the butter sculpture. That is until I realized they were plastic. Can you spell t-a-c-k-y?

People rave about the fresh made doughnuts. Beignets from New Orleans they ain't. Greasy in the extreme. Really greasy. The outdoor restaurant lacks enough appropriate seating. We ended up all the way down the enclosed promenade looking out some extremely filthy windows.

We got absolutely nothing extra for booking the most expensive cabin on the ship. No bottle of champagne, invites to parties, special room menu or whatever. They clearly saw us coming.

On a brighter note, they do have a Honeymoon Suite. It is marked HS on the deck plan. Maybe that it OK. I looked at a number on other cabins, but did not specifically see inside that one.

My real recommedation is to pick another line, any line and go with that. These days NCL, Carnival etc have some great deals. If you like the idea of an older liner, the Norway is still puttering about, and would offer you a much nicer experience.

Bobbaloo

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 10:06 AM
bobb

OOPS!

After I wrote that whole thing I realize that I thought the post was asking about the Regal EMPRESS. Sorry disregard everything. I am so embarrassed I will never say another word here. Call me a jackhole!!!

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 10:59 AM
pat

Went on the Regal last Feb, around Australia/NZ. It is an older ship, but is very comfortable, and clean. Food was good. The staff bent over backwards to please, and were very effecient. Entertainment was so so, but we did enjoy the Chinese acrobats and the comedians alot. One thing, Paul, we did have to pay for transportation into town on buses that Princess provided. We had an inside cabin and it was just fine with enough storage space, and a small refrig. The pools seemed fine, but the weather wasn`t condusive to our using them. We also had a naturalist on board, and she was great. Now we are going on the Star, and will see how that is.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 12:40 PM
tamy

Thank you for the posts. I'll forgive you Bobb,I'm glad you were mistaken, I was starting to get real depressed. I think Paul may be mistaken also about the ship. I think she was built in 1990's.
I'd loved to know if she has a glamourous feel to her. If that makes sense. Any more past experiences would be very welcome. Thanks.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 12:47 PM
bobb

Hi Tamy

Thanks for being so understanding. I looked at Paul's reply again, and I think he made the same mistake, too, as the RE was from 1958-- A Greek Line ship, called the Olympia. That is actually what threw me off even further. Anyway hope whatever you do is great fun. Many happy years together.

Bobbaloo

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 04:41 PM
sandy

Hi Tamy, we sailed on Regal in April, we sailed from Japan to Ca. 32 days. She is not a honeymoon ship. We had a good time, but not would not want to spend my honeymoon on her. Public rooms are nothing special. You did'nt say when your wedding was, but do try a newer ship. Maybe Dawn Princess or check into one of RCL ships. We did Hawaii on Vision of the Sea (RCL) she is a beautiful ship. Keep looking you will find a ship that has what you want.

Old Oct 9th, 2002, 10:57 PM
Paul Therault

Yep, my head was in the sand. I read Princess and my brain went Empress.

Tamy will have a great time on the Regal PRINCESS.

Sorry,

Paul

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 09:10 AM
beth

Ah, the Regal Princess... everyone has an opinion about everything, and here's mine about the Regal Princess. We loved her! It was a 7 night Alaska cruise that served as our honeymoon (we'd been married for 3 years, but hadn't managed a trip yet). There were definitely a few places where she was showing her age (especially compared to the new, glitzy ships), but she was still beautiful. While we were docked in Juneau, we got to tour the (then brand-new) Dawn Princess - she was incredibly beautiful, but we still loved the Regal. The show room and dining room seemed to be a bit dated - not worn out and old, but dated color schemes. We had an inside cabin - got a handicap-accessible one, so it was HUGE! The furnishings seemed new and modern - we especially appreciated the bridge-cam that was broadcast on the TV, so we could "look out the window" to see where we were, what the weather was like, etc.

The pool area did seem smaller - especially compared to the Dawn Princess - but it seemed fine. Since it was an Alaska cruise, we didn't spend much time out there. We did, however, really love sitting on the aft deck (out of the wind), enjoying the hot tub while looking out at the snow-capped mountains! The food was great - the Horizon Court buffet tended towards cafeteria food some days - other days it was really great. Food in the dining room was consistently excellent.

I think that answers all your questions... we're looking forward to our next trip on the Regal Princess - she was comfortable, cozy, and the crew couldn't have been more gracious, friendly, and accomodating.

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 01:03 PM
tamy

Thank you so much Beth for your review. We've decided to take our cruise to Hawaii on the Regal. I've found some pictures of her and I think it will be just fine. The pool area looks a little dated but oh well. The aft area with the hottubs looks great. Do know if you can access that area from the Carib or Baja deck? We already booked our cruise a year in advance because our TA said it was selling fast. How was the sound-proofing between the cabins?
Sorry to ask another question but I'm a real planner! Thanks so much .

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 04:45 PM
pat

This is Pat again. Never heard a sound from other cabins.

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 11:34 AM
Linda

I read your post because we are looking at a Regal Princess trip for next summer and we're reading all the reviews and recommendations to make the best choice (Scandanavia/Russia trip).

We've sailed on Princess ships twice (Alaska and Panama Canal) and never had any complaints. One of the reasons we are looking at the Regal is because of her size. After taking a dozen cruises, we have concluded that the smaller the ship the better the cruise. The entertainment may not be as glitzy as on the mega ships, but we feel a smaller ship is better in the long run.

The best cruise of all was the Paul Gaugin to Tahiti. Nothing compares!

Have a wonderful honeymoon!

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 04:04 PM
parrot mom

Paul...which Princess ship is on it's way from Montreal to Ft. Lauderdale right now??? We have cruise buddies on the ship and will be meeting them Wednesday to give them a tour of Boston and the Duck Tour..

Old Oct 22nd, 2002, 01:18 AM
Paul Therault

Hi Parrotmom,

I hope this answers your question. The Royal Princess is doing a 14 day Montreal/Ft. Lauderdale on Oct. 17.

It will be in Boston (I believe this is what you want) on October 23 from 8AM to 5PM.

Bring some winter coats for them to wear in case they forget. It is going to be mighty cold on Wednesday for a duck tour.

Paul