Is it really the best ship?

Feb 21st, 2007, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Is it really the best ship?

I am looking at taking my family on a cruise and was wondering how nice the Freedom of the Seas really is. Has anyone been on and do the recommend a balcony? Thanks!
Feb 21st, 2007, 11:33 AM

Yes, I have cruised on Freedom. The only uequivocable thing that can be said is that it is the BIGGEST ship sailing at the moment. "Best" is a very subjective statement.

It was certainly not the best for me. It is huge and impersonal when one prefers the ambiance of a smaller ship. It feels like a convention hotel and Mall of America combined. I found the food and service to be average, the entertainment very good, fitness facilities excellent, accomodations new and comfy.

It is likely a great choice for families.

It is not, IMO, "best" for everyone. I prefer a more traditional, formal atmosphere with excellent food and service and a largely adult demographic. I dislike announcements and the push to buy things and I do not like to be ala carted to death.

So, for me, there are others that are far more appealing. To her fans, I imagine she is the best.

Re the balcony, if it is within your reach, why not? It is a real treat IMO.
Feb 21st, 2007, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help. I know what you mean regarding a more intimate surroundings but this time we will have family so I wanted something where they wouldn't be bored. They say the Freedom is a lot of fun and I just found out that it has a "skating rink" on board,......amazing! The fact that it has a basketball court for my 13 year old is appealing as well. Again thanks for your help!
Feb 21st, 2007, 02:05 PM

You will have skating rink and basketball court on any Voyager class ship for a lot less. I think Explorer and Mariner are the ones in Caribbean now. They are just a little smaller than Freedom but offer as much fun.
Feb 22nd, 2007, 06:27 AM

I've been on the Voyager twice, the Navigator and the Mariner twice. The Mariner was my fav of those. We just got back from the Freedom last week and I loved it, too. Personlly, I go for the ship and the activities. The entertainment was great, there were lots of places to dance, I loved the ice show and the production show "Once Upon a Dream". The new pizza place on the promenade was a nice bonus, and the wine bar is a favorite for us. Some maller ships I've sailed had cramped gyms, and you couldn't get a machine. Not here. I thought the food was average to good, the service was excellent, IMO. We made many friends and had a ball. I frequently had my lunch on the balcony and my husband and I sat out there at night many times enjoying the moon on the water. I walked around the Promenade deck every day which was one heck of a workout! The art on tthe ship is gorgeous...I'm into that; I spent a couple hours looking at all the art in the halls and various areas- amazing. The dining room is gorgeous and festive- so much nicer than some ships with blah dining rooms. I liked the ship so much that I never got off in port this time. Too much to do. The flowrider was great entertainment, too. If I want an intimate cruise, I'll book a boat and captain. But for an activity filled cruise with so many, many options, I loved the Freedom and have already booked the sister ship for next Jan.
Mar 6th, 2007, 02:47 PM

The "best" ship, according to the Berlitz Guide, is the Europa - and has been for years. Of course, ALL cabins are suites and all have balconies. You may also read the review at cruisecritic.com.