Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Sun Princess over new years - anyone else?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7th, 2005, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there, I have 2 daughters 12 and 16 any other families sailing on this Southern Caribbean itinerary from Ft Lauderdale on 12/28? Anyone have any great knowledge of the Sun Princess that someone who has never sailed Princess would want to know? How is the steakhouse and is the $15. per person charge worth it? Any info would be greatly appreciated we have always sailed Carnival?
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 02:42 PM

Unfortunately we are not going on your cruise, but we did sail on the Sun Princess in April for 10 days. We loved this ship !!! The food was very good, we never spent any additional money for Sterling Steakhouse, frankly with the food being as good as it was I don't think it is necessary. Also, on this ship the "pay" restuarant is basically only a section of of the Horizon Court that they block off.

We had a balcony cabin, mid-ship, on Aloha Deck. Great Location !!! The cabin was small, but everything fit and we had space we did not even use. We had a refrig. as well which is very very handy. The bathroom is small, but it's doable, we had no problems. We loved the balcony, again it is not huge, but it served it purpose just fine.

Everyone we came in contact with on the ship (crew/staff) were very pleasant and always had a smile. Everything on the ship was spotless and in great shape. Maintenance seems to be an on-going effort.

We never ate in the buffet as we are not buffet people but my husband did run in and grabbed a couple of panini sandwichs one afternoon when we came back from sightseeing and they were very good (we ate it on our balcony).
Incidentally, the buffet is open 24 hours a day serving different foods at different times.

Verdi's serves very good pizza and it is a SIT DOWN AND BE SERVED restuarant. At night it also serves Italian food and desserts (no additional charge). The food we had was very good.

We had Personal Choice Dining and it was great. We never had to wait more then a few minutes for a table for 2. If there was a wait you were given a beeper and you could wander around till you were called. We ate all our meals in the dining room - very relaxing !!

We had taken only one cruise previous to this one and it was on Carnival. The Sun Princess Cruise was way way better then Carnival in our estimation, in all ways.

There is an Internet Cafe on board with plenty of computers. They do charge 35 cents a minute but it is worth it to have access to a computer if you want to keep in touch. I made good use of it

I can't comment on activities for your daughters, but I would guess if you are sailing over New Year's there will be plenty of kids on board. We had very few but it was not a holiday time.

Entertainment was good, we saw 2 shows, while not Vegas standards, they were not bad.

Not sure what your ports are, but ours were St. Vincent, St. Lucia, Grenada, Martinique, St. Thomas and Princess Cays. We did not do ship excursions, we either did our own thing or joined up with another couple of two and took a van/taxi sightseeing (we did that on Martinique and St. Lucia) and it worked fine. Lots of taxi's at each port should you decide to go that route.

I hope you enjoy your trip !!!

Old Jul 7th, 2005, 02:45 PM

I forgot to mention that the Marquis Dining room is used for Personal Choice and the Regency for Traditional Dining. However, breakfast and lunch are served only in Regency and it is just "walk in and be seated" like a regular restuarant on land. You can either share a table with others or be seated by yourself - they will ask you what you want to do.
Old Jul 12th, 2005, 08:33 PM

We had the good fortune to have sailed on the Sun Princess' Inaugural sailing from Ft. Lauderdale in December 1995. New ships and inaugurals were still not commonplace. As Captain's Club members we were invited to attend the naming ceremony the day prior to sailing. Quite an experience! The CEO of P & O spoke and his wife "named" the ship, we then were welcomed on board to see the exchange of gifts between the ship's builder the the Master of the Ship as well as the gift to Lady (can't recall her name) who named the ship.

Sailaway was magnificent with a bigger fireworks display then I have seen on Fourth of July's. Something I shall not forget.

The "sun" class is probably a favorite of mine. Nice size at only 77k tons with 1900 pax at double occupancy. The ship has great traffic flow.

I recently sailed on the Grand and tried Sterling Steakhouse and would not do so again. The food was better in the main dining room.

Your girls will find plenty of company their age on board for this sailing. You probably will not see them often once they "hook up"! There will be a lot of families on this cruise.

Don't miss the champagne waterfall during a midnight buffet. An old carry over from the Sitmar days after Princess bought the line.
Old Jul 15th, 2005, 09:17 PM

Hi-

You should check out www.cruisecritic.com to see who is booked on your cruise. I did this site for our Mediterannean Cruise and met some very wonderfule people from all over the world.