STORMY WEATHER

Sep 23rd, 2007, 02:37 AM
Original Poster

STORMY WEATHER

Looking at booking a cruise for mid Jan 2008.
A choice between Mexican Riveria or Eastern Caribbean.

Which cruise will give me a better chance of decent weather?

Last time we were in the Caribbean in Jan, the sea was so stormy that they cannot laucnh the tender at Grand Cayman.

Comments and suggestions appreciated.

Sep 28th, 2007, 12:36 PM

The chance of a storm is exactly the same in either location. You can't predict the weather this far out, but January isn't typically prone to storms anymore than any other winter month in the Caribbean. But in January the main problem can often be wind, which causes waves, even when it's not really a "storm". What you should focus on are the preponderance of ports that require you to tender ashore; that's where you can have the most disruption. But a ship can skip ports any time of the year because of weather, so there are no guarantees there.
Sep 28th, 2007, 06:59 PM

I have often cruised in Jan. and I must say that you are better off with a Southern Caribbean itinerary. I have done Western twice, and the weather was not as warm as the Southern Islands. I would choose late Jan. also. We have not done the Mexican Riviera Cruise so I cannot say about that one.
Sep 29th, 2007, 08:53 AM

Hello,

The seas are often rough in the Eastern and (especially) in the Western Caribbean during the winter. If I had to choose a region, I would choose the Southern Caribbean with warmer temperatures and hurricane season has ended.

When I cruised the Mexican Riviera in early January, it was lovely! It was cold and rainy in Los Angeles, but warm and sunny, around 85 degrees in Puerto Vallarta, around 80 in Mazatlan. The seas were rougher, but in January, there were many opportunities to do some whale-watching - amazing. Cabo San Lucas has beautiful, warm weather year-round - average temperature is 80 degrees and only 360 days of sunshine per year.

If I had to choose, I would go with the Southern Caribbean or the Mexican Riviera.

Best Regards,
Julia
Sep 29th, 2007, 10:38 AM

I've done the Mexican Riveria in January. In Los Angeles it was very sunny but not that warm, pleasant though. From there on it got warmer and warmer as we went South. All and all, great weather through out the 10 days. I've never done Caribbean in January so can't compare.
Oct 1st, 2007, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the posts! It really helps.

I looked into Southern Caribbean but I can't get flights out to San Juan on the week that I wanted to travel. I live in Western part of the country and air fare is expensive to San Juan to begin with.

I was looking at late Jan departure date and the only flight I can get out from where I am is paying for executive class and up. ouch!

I am leaning towards Mexican Rivera based on what I have heard so far. I am now tentatively looking at the Dawn Princess, leaving San Diego Jan 20.

The only tender port is Cabo San Lucas so I guess I might miss one if the sea is "wavy". Julia stated that "Cabo San Lucas has beautiful, warm weather year-round" so I guess my chances of getting ahore by tender is good.

For all of you who has cruised the Mexican Rivera, what are the high lites and don't misses? (Sorry ... no snorkeling or scuba diving please ...)
Oct 2nd, 2007, 01:00 PM

I've been on one cruise only so far, from LA to Ensenada in January, and what's definitely not to miss is this: turn the lights off at night and look at those huge bright stars!!
Oct 13th, 2007, 12:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks FainaAgain, We will try that. We have a cabin near the front of the ship on the upper deck so hopefully, the lights are behind and below us.