Princess or Royal Car.

Jun 13th, 2007, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Princess or Royal Car.

Hello I am looking at a cruise to italy next may and my husband and I are between two choices. One is on the Grand Princess and the other is on the RC legend of the seas. The trouble is this.... we have been on two cruises before (one on Princess and one on RC) The princess cruise was 1000 % better. The food was spectacular and the boat in perfect condition. The RC ship felt old (even the balcony was rusty and nasty) and the food was AWFUL! they couldnt even cook an egg correctly. I swore I would never do RC again BUT I have been doing research and I ton of people say that they think the two companies are about equal. We do prefer the itenarary on the rc ship but are hesitant to spend a ton of money for something we will be unhappy with. Any thoughts or opinions on this would be great!
Thanks
Jun 13th, 2007, 08:37 AM

I have not been on either of these exact ships but cruised RCI 50x total and Princess once.

I imagine the bad RCI cruise was a short one on an old ship? Hope so as my experience is that they generally take good care of their ships.

RCI has just upgraded bedding on all of their ships and it is quite nice! I do not read raves about Princess's bedding as they reserve the good stuff for suites. I like a good bed, especially after long days touring so that matters to me.

Since it is the MED, I would weigh the ports and price. RCI will deliver a hot breakfast in the morning to get you started early and Princess only continental. In Italy, I personally would dine in port as often as possible as the food and wine are a big part of the experience.

Grand Princess will offer Anytime Dining if that is a preference of yours.

I agree that food on RCI is average and have not been on Princess for 20 years so cannot comment and do not believe in hearsay

Check cruisecritic.com for more info.
Jun 13th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Our Cruise on Princess was tahiti and bora bora (south pacific-2003) for 10 days on the Tahitian Princess and the RC cruise was out of galveston (mexico-2005) for 7 days on the splendour of the seas.... if this helps
Jun 13th, 2007, 09:37 AM

I have to agree to check www.cruisecritic.com to read specific RECENT reviews of both ships. Each line has its cheerleaders and fans, but there are some ships that consistently get worse reviews than others.

You may also learn something such as one or the other of those ships has recently been in dry dock and recently refurbished - or you may read that people are complaining about one or the other being a big rust bucket.

I sailed the Grand and had a fabulous cruise, but that was in 2003 - a lot may have changed since that time. I've done 9 Princess cruises and am a big fan, but having never sailed RC, I can't compare the two.

I'm sure a Med cruise is a pricey venture - I would do my very best to educate myself before I chose.
Jul 9th, 2007, 12:39 PM

My husband and I and our four children have been on both the Princess Grand Royal Caribbean. We thought the food was better on the Princess but the activities were better on RC. Our children are between the ages of 8 and 12 and we are taking an Alaskan cruise in two weeks on Holland America. If I had to choose I think I would use Princess.
Jul 10th, 2007, 03:41 AM

First, the Tahitian Princess is a very unique, wonderful ship. The experience on that ship will not be the same as on the Grand Princess.

That being said, I would choose Princess over RCCl any day. The food on Princess is much better. I also prefer the activities on Princess over RCCL.
Jul 10th, 2007, 03:43 AM

kfusto - all the ships and cabins are having upgraded bedding on Princess. Not sure if all the ships are done but they are in the process of doing it.

You really need to sail on Princess recently to give more upated comparisons. If you are an agent, I would think this would be beneficial.
Jul 10th, 2007, 06:30 AM

Therese, thanks for the advice.

Since I very rarely cruise for pleasure, and I am not a fan of large ships, there is not much reason for me to specifically cruise on Princess. The Tahitian is one ship that appeals but the flight is too long for me to consider it.

Since I work specifically with groups and incentives, Princess is not a fit for my business as they cannot offer meeting space to meet my client's needs. Therefore, there is no reason to cruise with them as I focus on lines that meet my business model. If I am cruising for pleasure, it will be on Regent or similar.

I do, however, do sites on their ships during Cruise360, etc. and when invited by my DSM. I inspect the cabins, have lunch, view public areas, etc. While certainly not a full taste of the experience, it gives me a feel for some aspects of the overall product.

According to my district sales manager for Princess, whom I assume knows his ships very well, the bedding is being replaced fleetwide in phases. And the bedding for mini suites and above is not the same as in standard cabins, so not the same level of luxury or quality. This is what I stated in my post, info provided by Princess.

RCI uses the same bedding in all cabin categories, as does HAL. For those who appreciate nice bedding, it makes a difference.

My comments about room service are accurate. Princess provides continental only, unless one opts for the balcony breakfast at a surcharge. It is not necessary to cruise on one of their ships in order to have this information.

I am not certain which info you deem inaccurate, as it is info available directly from Princess without spending a week onboard.

Jul 11th, 2007, 03:27 AM

kfutso - I really think if you are going to make recommendations on a cruise board, you should have at least sailed the cruise line you are speaking of at least once in the past 10 years or so. People come to this board for real advice, not advice people get from phone reps - anyone can get this or from someone who spends 30 minutes touring a ship. There is more to comparing ships from what one reads - it is more about experiences on the various lines.

As far as sailing on the Tahitian. The flight to Vancouver next summer is really not that far. That is, if you know that the Tahitian is sailing to Alaska next summer. Plus, her sister ship is in Alaska this summer.

Maybe stick to comparing ships from experiences you have experienced personally.
Jul 11th, 2007, 04:23 AM

Hello TS; as someone who sailed the Tahatian do be aware that she gets exceptionally good reviews. We have also been on the Splendour which IMHO doesn't get the best marks for RCI ships by any means. Do go to www.cruisecritic.com for tons of up to date passenger reviews. You will get a better idea their. Also have you considered other lines as well? Again look into the above site to get a better idea. Cheers, Larry
Oct 8th, 2007, 08:27 AM

Hello.
We travelled on The Legend three years ago on a 16 day Panama Canal voyage.
We only had good experiences and found the ship to be spotless.
We have booked a transatlantic on the same ship for Dec 1st 2007 and will gladly update you on our experiences.
Oct 12th, 2007, 11:49 PM

Food is better on the Princess. However, they can't do eggs right either. All the eggs are overcooked even when asked for a soft boil and have to send it back.
Oct 13th, 2007, 03:45 PM

okay...here is my 5 cents. I have cruised both lines. Never to Europe though. I have been on the Grand Princess, and on RCCL about 4 times.

My DH and I prefer RCCL to Princess. I think that the food is wayyyy better on RCL. HOwever, I do know that this varies from ship to ship. For example, we just took a HAL cruise and were very, very dissapointed; and let me add that we are not overly picky.

I would go to cruisecritic.com and read the reviews carefully. Maybe talking to a rep at RCCL and tell them your concerns might help. They should be able to answer very specific questions about a ship. I did that with HAL, and they contacted the ship personally and got the answers I wanted. It was helpful.

sorry, if I am not more help.