Seward to Anchorage- Train or Bus?

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 03:28 PM
Jim

Seward to Anchorage- Train or Bus?

Which would be more scenic in June the train or bus from Seward to Anchorage? Has anyone done both? Any sightseeing suggestions in either place?

Old Apr 13th, 2002, 02:00 AM
Paul Therault

Hi Jim,

I have not taken either but always rent a car for convenience even though it is very expensive. The train or the bus (there are two lines) do not run regularly.

Anchorage is a large city with the regular large city things to do but Seward is the "real" Alaska. If you get a chance stay a day or two, there are so many things for a visitor to do I can write a book.

The highlight is a boat trip through the Kenai Fiords. A six hour trip (not expensive) will allow you to view all the wildlife you will ever want to see.

Paul

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 01:42 PM
ernie

I have driven the ride between the two. You can see the railroad maybe 40 percent of the time. The drive is very nice as you drive between 2 mountain ranges the whole way. With the car, you can stop at Portage glacier. You cant see the glacier from land. But it is a nice stop along the way. A boat ride will take you to the face of the glacier for a fee. Also a few miles from Seward you can walk right up to Exit glacier. As you get closer to Achorage, stop at Turnagain Arm were you might see a pod of Beluga whales feeding 30 feet off the shore. Cant help you with the train though.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 03:06 PM
Shar

Hi!
I've driven that route four times and taken the train once. Princess offers their own scheduled train trip from Anchorage to Seward (or vice versa) called Grand View. You would need to have a cruise booked in order to ride on it. It leaves from Seward around 8a.m. and gets into Anchorage around noon. Then it leave Anchorage around 12:30p.m. and returns to Seward about 4:30p.m. We took it from Anchorage and it was a wonderful experience.

Driving, there are many view points, but Exit Glacier and Turnagain Arm are the most worthwhile for photo stops.
Personally, I enjoyed the Big Game Preserve, where they take injured animals and nurse them back to health. You can get some good close-ups of caribou, moose, elk, musk oxen, etc. It's located real close to Portage on the Seward Hwy.
Shar

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 12:43 AM
Paul Therault

About half way down the Seward Highway near Alyeska Resort and Portage Glacier is an old mine called Crow Creek. Some of the original camp still remains. The mine still averages 700 ounces of gold per month. You can pan for gold for a small fee.

Paul