Alaska RR Spencer Glacier Tour

Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Alaska RR Spencer Glacier Tour

The Alaska Railroad offers a tour from Anchorage to Spencer Glacier. Has anyone had this experience?

Apparently, you get the train in Anchorage and travel to the glacier. For the return you take a motorcoach arriving back in Anc at 6:45PM.

We have a free day in Anchorage and have done other day trips in Anchorage (museums, shopping etc.)
Any other suggestions?

Old Jan 3rd, 2008, 04:23 PM

Becky - I hope someone replies because we were thinking about doing the same trip. I did find another trip from Anchorage that invoves going to Whittier for the day:
http://www.kayakcenterak.com/seakayakwhittier.asp
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Hi Schnitzel,
The trip to Whittier looks fine too.
My husband wanted the "train" experience so I thought we could accomplish this in the Spencer Glacier tour.
I would like to know that it's okay to book this just a day ahead. I don't think that we will make an advance reservation just in case of very bad weather or if we just find something else we want to do.
Old Jan 4th, 2008, 08:09 PM

Do the entire train trip from Anchorage to Seward. Take Kenai Fjords tour there. Eat Dinner on the train on the way back. This takes the entire day, but train is very scenic and worth it. You could cut down the time and save a little money by taking bus one way, and train one way. Seward HWY and train ride are both very very very scenic and good. Kenai Fjords equally as good. You will see glaciers in Kenai. Going to Spencer you will see the least and less scenic part of the trip that continues on to Seward
Old Jan 5th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Hi Spiro..thanks for your input. We will be in Seward later in our trip and intend to do the Kenai Fjords trip. I still am interested in the Spencer Glacier trip if anyone can comment on their experience.

I am however, reconsidering due to your info about the least scenic part being at the beginning of the train south to Seward. I am not great on trains but my husband would probably really enjoy going all the way to Seward if it is great scenery. How long is the trip? When you reserve, are you given the option to take the bus back to Anchorage?
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 12:53 PM

The trip to Spencer Glacier actually covers some of the most beautiful scenery on the whole trip. It takes you into areas that are only accessible by train and the views are spectacular. I thought it was cool how the views look different when you go each way since you see the Valley from different angles.

I read recently where the railroad is expanding the Spencer area with a new Whistle Stop where people can get off the train and go hiking. And there's also a float trip where you get off the train at Spencer, the climb on a raft and float around by the icebergs and then down the river. You can go back to Anchorage by motor coach or by train.
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 03:10 PM

Perhaps I didn't convey exactly what I meant on the train ride. It is one HUGE HUGE SCENIC RIDE. I just thought you should go all the way from Anchorage to Seward. I thought the closer we got to Seward the more scenic it became. Sorry for the confusion. There are lots of waterfalls, lakes,ponds,creeks, mountains, glaciers, wildlife, tunnels. It was a very good experience and I would hate for you to not do it.

To me the least scenic part was near Anchorage (still nice though). We started in Seward.

again, sorry about the confusion.
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Alaska Kris...Thank you so much for your reply. Your info is just what I was looking for.

What do you think about waiting a day or two before to reserve?

We arrive in Anchorage on Aug 22 and I always plan a "buffer" day in case of travel complications from the East Coast. So we hopefully have Aug 23 in Anchorage completely unplanned. We could do this trip to Spencer Glacier then. But I am reluctant to book ahead. We are staying in a B & B very close to the train station in Anchorage for Aug 22 and Aug 23.

Thanks for your help.