Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Cruises
Reload this Page >

Sailing from Lauderdale-fly into Lauderdale or Miami?

Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Hi:
We're sailing on Celebrity's Constellation this Nov. from Lauderdale and are deciding whether to fly into Miami or Lauderdale. If Miami, what would the taxi fare approx. be to the dock? Anyone know of a good , relatively inexpensive hotel near dock to overnight before the cruise?
We're thinking of flying in the day before sailing in case of bad weather/delays.
Thanks
Apr 23rd, 2007, 06:56 AM

Fly into FLL. I always avoid Miami if at all possible.

Yes, there are many motels/hotels near the FLL airport and even closer to the pier area.

Enjoy your Celebrity cruise!!
Apr 23rd, 2007, 07:35 AM

I talked to someone at the hotel I stayed at that flew into Miami from Canada, because it was much cheaper than Lauderdale. I believe they said it was $50. Make sure you fly in a day early just incase you don't get in on time. There are many places to stay. Near the lauderdale airport. Make sure you book early when I went in March most of the hotels were full with the cruisers. I forget where I stayed, but it was near the Kmart strip mall right off of 95.
Apr 24th, 2007, 04:59 AM

Fly into Ft. Lauderdale. Many good places to stay at the airport or near the river. We enjoyed the Marriott on the river. Take a trip on the small boat that goes down the river. Very interesting and enjoyabl.
Apr 24th, 2007, 01:35 PM

It doesn't matter. Get the best ticket deal. Use priceline for a hotel. You can book a shuttle through the cruise line if you need.
Apr 25th, 2007, 12:16 PM

I agree that price should be a consideration, but if they are comparably priced - go with Fort Lauderdale, hands down. I much prefer it. And flying in the day before is always a plus.
Apr 27th, 2007, 08:00 AM

Ft. Lauderdale, from experience....
surfingmomma
May 4th, 2007, 08:27 PM

When cruising out of FLL we have used the Sleep Inn by the Airport. They offer airport pickup and seaport dropoff or vice versa (as needed) for their guests at no additional charge. A simple buffet breakfast is also offered as part of the accomodation package. The Sleep Inn is next to a Walgren's and across the street from a strip mall with banks,dining, a Dollar Tree store and a supermarket. For us, this has proved to be very convenient prior to and after a cruise!

Bon Voyage,

BillyBuzzy
May 6th, 2007, 10:32 AM

I live in fort lauderdale. If the airfare is comporable I strongly recommend flying into lauderdale. Miami is a crazy airport, and the fare to the port in ft L. will be at least $50
from ft Laud to port it's a $10 fare
I am a frequent cruiser, and we always arrive at the port city a day in advance to avoid missing he ship
there are alot of small hotels on US1, there is a nice embassy suites on SE 17th St which is less than a mile from the port. There are also several good restaurants in walking distance from there.