Search

QM2 tips

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2005, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
QM2 tips

does anyone have any info on how much the standard tips are on board?? trying to figure out how much cash we need to bring
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 09:24 AM
TravelLaughter

We have the same question. I've used their website, FAQs, on other issues. Or you can call Cunard 800-728-6273, 6 to 6 PST. I've never had any luck sending questions to Cunard and getting a response. If you get an asndwer, please post it here. Are you doing Southampton-NYC or Carribean?

Old Jan 19th, 2005, 08:02 AM

We just got back. Don't believe anything you read on this website about how bad it is, it was absolutely wonderful. Service, food, cabin, entertainment, etc. etc. Everything was perfect. They deduct $11.00 PP/per day for your tips from the credit card you registered prior to boarding. Other than that, it is up to you. We gave our cabin steward and waiters extra money.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 09:02 AM
TravelLaughter

Jodym, what deck were you on? Britannia restaurant? Did you try Todd English? What about late night, dancing, shows, etc. Any especially neat places to go onboard?

I was twice on her predecessor who now resides in Long Beach, below water level. Student days on the way to Calais and Paris to school, and back to NYC the next year. LOL, going a bit higher up this time, much.

Did you try the Canyon Ranch spa? How were your room sterwards.

Details, lots of details, please. So happy you liked her!!!

Old Jan 19th, 2005, 09:56 AM

We were on deck 6, inside stateroom. Our friends had a suite on the 9th floor. Our room was not bad, good size bath, we didn't keep bumping into each other. Very nicely appointed. Cabin Steward (Romil) was superb. Always there when we needed him and we needed him a few times. We ate in Brittania Rest. So beautiful!! Service was the best we've had on a ship (Igor) he was just great. Didn't have to wait for anything at anytime. We thought the food was excellent. We went to Todd English for Lunch the first day out, so great, I'm from Boston so I know how good his food is. Service was very attentive. My husband had 2 messages at Canyon; he said it was great. The Queens Room has late night dancing as does the disco. QR is beautiful, make sure you see that. Go to tea there. Go to the Planetarium shows, all the evening shows were great, you might want to skip the juggler, however. Everything else was perfect. I know I sound like a broken record but we loved it. Let me know if you want to know anything else.
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 07:39 AM
TravelLaughter

Thanks so much, Jodym, exactly what I wanted to hear. We're on either deck 5 or 6, don't recall, with an oceanview stateroom ... and Cunard actually has told me they may upgrade us later ... not sure why. North Atlantic should be okay that time of year.

We're also in Britannia ... 8:30 p.m. seating ... we elected a table for six, just to meet a few folks.

Sending our black tie, etc. via DHL to the QM2 port manager, jsut to be able to dress a bit several evenings.

We'll definitely take all your advice on the Queen Room, etc.

Just a question on meals: did you select from their wine list or simply stick with QM2 wines?

Where are the best places to walk ... I know there is the Promenade deck. Is that convenient? Did you take any ships tours? Do they still place a day's schedule under the door each morning, or is this obtained on the interactive TV?

I was on the orginal Queen years ago, in cabin C-181 one time, don't recall the number the next time. Well below water level, LOL. I expect it to be different this time. I'm thriulled you loved the Queen, and had a great time. And thanks so much for all the helpful information. Take care.

Old Jan 21st, 2005, 08:56 AM

Re: wines. I usually drink Cosmos and my husband bloodys, so we did not get into wines but I'm sure the list is extensive and wonderful from what I observed. Note there are 3 formal evenings and 2 other evenings where gentlemen should wear jackets, they call these other 2 evenings "informal". Promenade Deck is the place to walk, it's also the place to sit but no one seems to get in each others way. It's very wide and the chairs are placed out of the way of the walkers. It's a great deck. Also the deck with the Pavillion Pool is nice to walk, albeit rather hot when the sun is shining, but we were up there a lot too. Don't worry about North Atlantic, this ship is so smooth, you won't even know you are moving. Just a little sway now and again, which is what all us cruisers like. We took 2 ships tours, both to beaches on St. Thomas and St. Martin and they did a great job keeping us all together and happy. The cabin steward leaves a schedule each night in your stateroom. It is also on TV. Beware however, emails are $1.50 going and coming, that is, if you elect to open it. It prompts you so you know you are going to pay it, it's not a surprise. Gift shops are expensive but we managed a few items. Be sure you go into the Veuve Cliquot champagne bar!! it's so wonderful with soft colors and a nice view of the water line. Clientele is definitely older on this ship and we loved it because the pool and hot tubs were mostly empty whenever we wanted to use them!! People of a certain age seem to be more friendly and relaxed; we talked to more people on this ship than ever on Princess. I'm jealous, have a great time.
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 10:53 AM
TravelLaughter

ah, yes, yes, yes, the champagne bar ... I know exactly where it is on QM2, and I've already told my partner I can be found there before dinner. Thanks so much ... your information is priceless. This has to an extent been a challnenging time, and this will be a celebration never to forget. QM2 seemed just the prfect final touch for a great UK trip!!!!! Take care.

Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 09:48 AM

I was thinking of taking my niece on QMII transatlantic with me this fall. I'm 60; she's in mid-30s. However, it sounds way too formal for us. I know she (and I) would want the QMII or nothing, so maybe this isn't a good idea. Is there any way to avoid the formal dress, or is it mandatory? We would probably choose either an outside stateroom or balcony room. Would that "class" mandate formalwear? If not "formalwear," just how dressy? Thanks much for any help!
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 10:16 AM
SergioL

Business attire for a few nights, some will be in black tie. That's simply thre style of the ship. If i were you, I'd book and not worry ... simply pack one more formal items and use it a lot.