Search

Kripalu Yoga Center in Lenox, Massachusetts

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2006, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kripalu Yoga Center in Lenox, Massachusetts

Hi,

I am thinking about going on a yoga retreat at Kripalu Yoga Center. I've read mostly positive reviews about the place, but a couple of reviewers complained about the physical condition of the facility (too old, smelly, etc.). Has anyone been to this center? If so, what was your experience like?
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 06:27 AM

Hi there,

I last went to Kripalu about 2 years ago--so my information might be somewhat outdated. However, when I went last, I noticed that they had expanded and really done a lot to make the place a little more modern. I can only imagine that they continue to upgrade as much as possible. The prices certainly have!

That being said, if you are a traveler who is looking for a Canyon Ranch, high-end experience, Kripalu is probably not for you. It will always feel somewhat "dorm like" unless they tear it down. It used to be an ashram, after all (and before that I think it was some sort of seminary).

If you want a wonderful peaceful yoga retreat, it is just the place. It has a good energy.

I've stayed in the double with shared hall bathroom and in the single with shared hall bathroom. Though I'm not particularly high maintenance, I do have a very good sense of smell--and I never noticed any strange smells there.

The food, to me, was just OK--but I never went for the food, just the experience.

Are you going for a particular program or teacher? What kind of room are you planning to stay in?

Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Hi coolbluewater,

Thank you for sharing your experience at Kripalu. I am considering their basic R&R program for 3 days and not going for any particular program or teacher. I am just trying to get away from the city for a few days, be near the nature, practice lots of yoga, and come back relaxed and refreshed.

I am planning to stay in the double room with shared bath. I heard that you cannot lock your room from outside, which concerns me a little, especially since I will be going there alone. Did you feel the place was very safe when you were there?

I heard great things about Canyon Ranch but they are too expensive for me. It's on my list of things to do some day when I am rich.

Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 11:08 AM

I did feel safe when I was there, and the only thing anyone could have taken was my smelly yoga clothes! Flippancy aside, they really promote a positive, safe environment there--Unless the people coming have changed drastically, you should be OK. Karma, baby!

Oh, and I forgot to mention that the treatments there are really amazing. Treat yourself to a massage! Or two!
Old Jun 28th, 2010, 05:48 PM

I am going in aug! first time to travel and be by my self- i am excited and nervous but more excited
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 12:56 AM

I've been there 4 times, most recently this past winter. I'd go back in a heartbeat! It's beautiful and clean and serene and the people are nice and the food delicious. The original building is a little older, but well maintained. The new building is quite beautiful, and they charge for the spanking new private rooms with private baths. I choose the private room with shared bath when I go. The classes are great. The people are down to earth. Everyone walking around in casual tees and shorts or yoga clothes, women with hair pulled up, no make-up, no pretenses. 4 of the best long weekends of my 56 years on earth!
Old Jun 29th, 2010, 12:57 AM

Of course you can lock your room!
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 07:03 AM

There is a safe in room for your valuables. When I drive, I leave them in the car; when I take public transport, its nice to lock the cell phone, credit cards, in the safe.
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 08:08 AM

I have been several times and just love it. I have always stayed in the dorm rooms. When I first went, they asked if I was a snorer and then put me in with snorers. Those rooms have been with double bunk beds and a single. I try to get there early and grab the single. I have tried to book the private room, but wait too long and they are gone.

I have never noticed any bad odors, only the scents that come from the treatment areas. I love their food and have even purchased their cookbook. There were no looks on the doors, but there are safes in each closet. Just note that there is no housekeeping and I don't recall any AC.

I've only ever done the R&R program, but always read their catalogue for programs. My experiences have always been amazing. An open mind is essential.
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 02:46 PM

If you want something a little more upscale but still mellow I'd suggest one of the rooms in the new building. The old building is VERY safe but also extremely basic. If Canyon Ranch appeals to you at all I would think you might not be comfortable in the basic spaces. If you have uncertainty, call and talk with them as they are very helpful.
And definitely do a treatment if you can afford it.
There's a lovely swimming lake . The classroom and dining spaces can be very hot in summer.