Search

First night recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2010, 03:50 PM
plr
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First night recommendations

Flying into Bangor at about 4:00pm in early September. Can you all please chime in with recommendations for nice clean, moderately priced (single) accommodation anywhere along the coast within an hour or two max from the airport in the direction of, or on Acadia or the nearby Schoodic peninsula area? I really am fine with standard motels, B&B's, motor inns or whatever--just prefer really clean & economical. TIA.
Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 07:02 AM

Look into the Twilite motel in Ellsworth. We stayed there and loved it as did all contributors on tripadvisor.com. It is very clean and charming and you can't beat the rates. Also, the owners are great.
Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 04:13 PM
plr
Original Poster

Thanks, 12Oaks! I really appreciate your response. Did you find that it was reasonable to use this motel as a spot for day trips that did not feel rushed around the Desert Island and Schoodic areas beyond the first night? I'm thinking I would love to stay put for a couple of nights in a place that would not waste a lot of driving time to & from those areas for the usual touristy activities.
Anyone have additional suggestions?
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 07:05 AM

We stayed at the Twilite while visiting Acadia rather than staying in Bar Harbor which was much more expensive. After that we moved up the coast to Calais so I cannot comment beyond that.
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 09:57 AM
plr
Original Poster

Just made my reservations directly with Ariella at the Twilite, and decided on 4 nights! She graciously cut my price by almost $10/night from the cheapest AAA/AARP price listed online. Thanks, Ariella! Looks like a great point of departure in several directions for those days. Thanks much, 12Oaks!
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 06:50 AM

Hi, glad it all worked out for you. Regarding food: the owners of Twilite have numerous menus from local restaurants and can guide you in that regard. Also, don't know if you like lobster but if you do there are numerous great lobster shacks in the Bar Harbor area.
Old Jul 5th, 2010, 03:00 PM
plr
Original Poster

Oh yes, 12Oaks, I plan to eat lobster every day I am in Maine, and already have my list of all the best places listed here and in the guidebooks! Thanks again.