Please help me pick a cruise!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2005, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never been on a cruise before!! I am going on a short Caribbean cruise out of Galveston this May and I am so excited. If we like it, we are going to cruise January 2006 for a longer time. Of the 3 below, which would you choose?

1.) French Polynesia with Princess (10 night debarking out of Papeete) -- this is the most exotic sounding, but also the most expensive with airfare!
2.) Mexican Riviera with Celebrity (10 night debarking out of San Diego) this one sounds nice b/c it is inexpensive for both the cruise and flight, plus I have never been to San Diego and would love to explore.
3.) Southern Caribbean (7 night debarking out of Barbados, Aruba, Puerto Rico, St Thomas, Dominica, Barbados) This one also sounds amazing, but again longer more expensive flight, but the cruise is reasonable, plus since it's shorter we could may spend extra time in Barbados.

Please help me narrow it down! I am totally ignorant since I haven't been to any of these places! Which sounds best for inexperienced cruisers? We are late twenties, leaving the kid for the first time, looking for a little romance, but also somewhat budget conscious.

Thanks!!

Chandra
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

I forgot to mention that the Barbados cruise is with Carnival. That is also who we are cruising with for the first cruise this May. Should we branch out and try a different line?

Thanks!
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 02:28 PM

Laustic: Have cruised French Polynesia once before, on the now defunct line, Renaissance (I think some of their ships, including the Tahitian Princess were purchased by the Princess line). Am returning to Tahiti in December - taking the Tahitian Princess to the Marquesas, Tuomotu & Society archipelagos). You're right.....this cruise is expensive, especially when you add on a 3-night land trip on Manihi. Have also cruised the Mexican Riviera four times: once on Carnival, once on Royal Caribbean and twice on Holland America. I love cruising to Mexico because I love the country and my home town is the port of San Diego (no air fare!). Have also taken a Southern Caribbean cruise, with a different itinerary your are considering. I don't think you would be disappointed if you opted for the 10-night cruise to Mexico on Celebrity. Haven't sailed with Celebrity yet, but will be cruising the Galapagos Islands in June on one of their ships ("X-pedition&quot. Have heard nothing but good things about Celebrity. Sounds like the Mexican Rivera cruise would give you the most bang for your buck, plus give you an opportunity to spend some time in a truly beautiful city, San Diego. Whatever cruise you decide to take, I know that you will enjoy it.
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 02:28 PM

I do believe Jan. in the South Pacific is their summer and it is pretty warm and wet then so perhaps you will consider that. An acquaintaince of mine went to Tahiti during that month and complained about the weather as well as the hi cost to eat there. As you are on a cruise the latter should not be an issue. We have not cruised with Celebrity yet but I have a friend who swears by them and they are very well reviewed so if that itenirary suits you then do it. We actually did a cruise with Carnival that hit most of those ports and we enjoyed it immensely so the choice is yours. I sort of like the idea of Celebrity but I must say the Carnival stops intrigue me more so it really depends on you. BTW you may hear some Carnival bashing. It seems to be a sport on this board, at least for some. All I can say is they have been fine with us and we would cruise with them again. Bon Voyage!
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 02:29 PM

Always branch out - have fun!

Pick #2 - max. fun for mini-money.

You don't have to fly to Barbados to do that itinerary - do more research for that area to save more money.
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the great feedback! I am so happy to finally read some positive things about Carnival. I was so excited about my cruise this May and then I read all the negatives about it on this forum. Now that I think about it though I have heard people say negative things just about everything/everyplace. My husband and I have fun pretty much no matter what we do, so I think we should be fine. I think we will do the Mexican Riviera based on everyone's input. We were leaning in that direction anyway. I just couldn't get that French Polynesian one out of my head, sounds so fun and exotic, but maybe another time! I can't wait to explore San Diego. I guess I'll have to start doing my research!

Thanks again!
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 06:55 AM

One nice attraction in SD is the Hotel Del Coronado, a landmark. Nice place to see and have lunch at. Good luck. Larry
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 02:18 AM

My only caution with choice #2 is the weather in January can be very iffy in San Diego, Baja, etc. It will be fine once you're way south. If you have your heart set on warm weather, you may want to consider your other 2 options. It could be 80 degrees, or pouring rain...you just can't count on warm weather.
Old Mar 19th, 2005, 06:59 AM

I would suppose it would depend on what you are seeking. I have never been to the French Polynesia, so I cannot comment although it sounds exotic and interesting to me. I know if you are seeking beaches, the turquiose beaufiful water then the S.Caribbean route would be the best, and insure warmer weather. We have been on several in Jan. They are all beach weather islands. I am from San Diego, and although it won't be like the east coast it will not be beach weather at all. San Diego is a wonderful city, and certainly worth spending time there but Jan. will be on the cooler side. The beach water on the Mexican Riviera is not the same as the Caribbean. It is just the Pacific Ocean. Still some great towns to explore with Mexican flavor. None of your choices are bad, just depends on what your priority, and main interests would be.