Search

Shore Excursions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shore Excursions

Can I wait until I get on the ship to book shore excursions or do they book up before then? Some of the excursions say they have limited room.
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 03:12 PM

Sussy,

This is my first cruise (in two weeks) and we've pre-booked our shore excursions. Actually, we booked them almost the day they were first available for booking. I went back to check something a few days later and noticed that one of them was sold out already. My suggestion would be if there is something that you really want to do that you book it right away.

I'm new to cruising so maybe one of the more experienced people have other advice. But...it's not like the price is going to change and you still have the option of cancelling.

Last Mango
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 03:49 PM

Carnival made us wait until we got onboard.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 10:59 AM

I agree with Alicia. You can do the
same thing on your own...cheaper...and
"they're" waiting for you when you
step off the ship. Pay attention to
what other travellers say, though...
it pays off.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 11:26 AM

If you decide to do the shore excursions offered by the cruise line, I would book in advance, just to save the aggravation of standing in line once you're on board or it filling to capacity before you are able to sign up.

On a Royal Caribbean Alaska cruise, I had prebooked all my shore excursions, and had confirmations of my reservations. At registration, though, I discovered that they somehow messed up and none of my bookings were made (long story).

At any rate, I had to wait in a very long and slow moving line to sign up for my shore excursions - I was quite peeved about the entire experience - especially since the wait was over 2 hours long.

There were no problems with the pre-booked reservations for others in my party, though. It was just my bad luck to have been stuck with some system error (their explanation).
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 04:46 AM

Depending on where you are going, many tours are much cheaper if you book them yourselves instead of going through the cruise line. For the more popular destinations (Cozumel, Cayman Islands, Jamaica) there are plenty of options. For the lesser known ports, I might see what the cruise line has to offer.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 04:37 AM

With this being your first cruise, I would recommend booking your tours thru the cruiseline(s). Each line offers on-line booking, which is easy to do. If you're willing to do the extra research, you can get usually get better pricing by using private tour companies. Booking with the cruiseline offers peace-of-mind, as they know the private companies that deal with them, plus the ship won't leave until all the tours return. If you miss the ship on a private tour, it's your responsibility to get to the next port-of-call. Most of time, the best tours offered by the ship will sell out if you wait to board. So if there's a special "must-do tour", book it early!

Regards...Bob
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 07:04 AM

Another advantage of booking through the ship is that you get priority if the ship is tendering in a port. Some people had to wait 1.5 hours to get off our ship in Grand Cayman. So if you book a tour independently, make sure it doesn't start too soon after the ship is scheduled to dock, or you might miss it.
We also like doing ship-related excursions because we meet more people from our ship. However, these excursions can be more crowded.
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 07:39 AM

My advice is to do it own your own when you disembark. what are the advantages of this:
1. Money. In Rome we did all the ships excursion planned and more in less time own our own time and saved $310.00 (part of three)
2. Leisure. You can get off when you are ready and not when the pre-arranged tour begins. There will be private tour operators just waiting. They have to earn a living too. We have done this on every port of disembarkation with no trouble whatsoever.
3. Independence. You can tailor your excursion when you get off with the operator, assuming its a private cab and do just what you want. The big advantage for us came in Rome when we just got plain tired form exploring that "home James" or in this case Georgio and back we were when we wanted to. Otherwise we would have had to wait about 4 more hours for the ships excursion to finish. Good luck and Bon voyage!
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 02:45 PM

I found that booking the tours on our own was substantially cheaper than booking through the cruiseline. Also, once you have booked with the ship most cruiselines will say that they go rain or shine. If you book on your own, you can check out the weather then go.

There are times when it is a good idea to book with the ship. Last year we did a tour that let us swim with the dolphins then it took us to the ship's private beach. This excursion was in Roatan Honduras. Roatan is not as modernized as an Antigua or Cozumel and english isn't the first language so I felt safer booking this tour through the ship.

When we have booked through the ship, we have always done it on the ship with no problems getting in.

Have a good trip!