Reload this Page >

Low priced cruiselines

Search

Low priced cruiselines

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2006, 07:08 AM
Suerich68

Low priced cruiselines

I'm sure I'm going to get slammed for this, but I think this forum NEEDS a little controversy - it's a bit boring.

I'm wondering why people who book lower priced lines, i.e., Norwegian, are surprised & shocked to read negative reviews. I have never cruised Norwegian, and would not. But if you pay $299 for a 7 day cruise - what do you expect? The fare has to cover your room, food, entertainment, etc., as well as pay the salaries of the 800 employees who are catering to you. And then you're surprised to find out that the service is poor; the food is lousy; and the entertainment is not Broadway-quality!

We have cruised twice on HAL, paid several thousand dollars each time, and have never been disappointed. We would prefer one nice experience to 4 mediocre ones.

Bottom line is - you get what you pay for. And, please, once you book, do you have to post every day for reassurance? You've made your decision, so stick with it.

Old May 3rd, 2006, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This could be an interesting day on Fodors....barely past 8am and ALREADY 2 grouchy, gripy posters.Maybe I'll take a well derved break.Or maybe THEY should!!
Old May 3rd, 2006, 07:17 AM

$299.00 for a seven day cruise!!!! GIVE ME A BREAK!!!! It was pro bably booked at the last minute, an inside cabin way below... Ihave mmet people who have gotten the cruise for approx. that amount, but it was a very last minute deal. Now you cannot book that close to sailing date because of US Gov ernment regulations,e tc . etc. I have cruised Norweigan...10 times on the Majesty, twice on the Sea and once on the Sky.. Holland America is a much different affair.. There is no way you can compare HA to Norweigan..the same as I would NEVER sale RCC but have sailed Celebrity.. Yet, I missed "free style dining" and the best entertainment on NCL..compared to both Celebrity and RCC....
Old May 3rd, 2006, 02:02 PM

I do agree that in the cruising industry you REALLY do get what you pay for!! Like most everyone who begins cruising we started with Carnival and NCL type lines and were fine with them...for awhile. Then we decided to start inching our way up into the more premium lines such as Celebrity, Princess and HAL. After awhile we decided to raise the bar once again into the luxury lines. Each time we've moved into what is considered a higher category within the cruiseline we've been very pleased! You do get what you pay for!
Old May 3rd, 2006, 02:36 PM
cd

I agree you do get what you pay for, most of the time. We are scheduled with HAL in 2 weeks and have paid a lot of money for it, so am hoping for the best.

However, I am a little offended by the OP's post of 299.00 for NCL. We were considering an NCL cruise for our family of 6 adults. The balcony cabins were 909.00 pp = 1800.00 per couple. Plus air fare,drinks, and shore excursions. Now,we're talking over 3000.00 per couple x3 = 9000.00. Might be cheap for some people for not for us.

We decided it was too much money to "maybe" not be satisified.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 03:37 PM

I think for $299. you must get an inside cabin that is the size of a broom closet on an itinerary that isn't selling (usually due to time of year or on an older ship). To upgrade to a window or a balcony you'll start getting into much bigger $$. At that rate, you might as well go on a higher end line for the same price.
Old May 4th, 2006, 02:59 AM

We paid $299@, Feb 5th sailing, for 7 days, Costa Magica, turned out when our agent called Costa, (Ann Stilson, 888-800-1177, Costas had balcony cabins for this price, Lido deck!!!! Ann works with cruise.com and this was their price. She put hold on a few cabins for ohter customers of hers! However, this was Tuesday, ship left Sunday and these cabinbs were sold right away! Paid $399, 7 days Carnival Valor and of March. Inside on Lido deck! Ann can always get us fantastic prices, she ONLY does group, past passengers and referrals so you must say I referred you if you call her
Old May 4th, 2006, 03:03 AM

I should have added that Costa was just GREAT. We have cruised more then 45 times but this was our 1st Costa and won't be our last. Carnival was also fine. Just because you pay less does not mean your service will be less! That depends on the ship. (Love NCL's Majesty but basicly hate NCL!)
Old May 4th, 2006, 04:09 AM
cd

We have sailed Costa and loved them also. Balcony cabin for 799.00.
Old May 4th, 2006, 04:31 AM

petlover....not everybody can afford to "inch their way up" to HA, Princess, Oceania or whatever....After more than 20 years of cruising from Premier (does anybody fondly remember them), RC, Celebrity, NCL and Carnival...A cruise is what you make of it..as I've said before...each ship has it's own personality...not every line of those has been perfect. Taking a tour of a HA ship my opinion (Amersterdam) that it was much too stuffy and heavy looking), R.C... my opinion on a ship that was magnificent was marred by service outside of your regular table that was non-existent, entertainment that as a friend says "he's seen better at his condo in Florida"., rudness by a higher staff member to myself and the parents of a severely handicapped child.... One NCL ship, Sky, where we had the worst service at our table ever and a Maitre de that didn't care, Celebrity...great ship..so-so entertainment.. and my beloved Majesty...where the food maybe not be the greatest at times.. but the crew with the biggest heart.. When Oceania first came "on the market".. the prices were afforable.. but it was and is very port intensive...which is not what I want.. Over the past twenty years I have met more "cruise snobs".. who turn their noses up at mention of NCL... Lately, on another board I had been writing to a self appointed clothing expert as to what is appropriate to wear on a certain line.. And yes... I have met a gentleman (before 9/11) who traveled to the UK for $100.00 when a passenger didn't show up and another gentleman who "stole" a cruise from Boston for approx. that amount of $$.. at the last minute.. Cruise lines don't like to sail empty.. There are shops to be supported, liquor to be bought and tips.. Don't tell me that many of you don't receive great last minute deals over the net... I do!! BTW hi Beach Boi...miss you..
Old May 4th, 2006, 06:25 AM

yes, agree you get what you pay for. If you're happy with your cruise line and it meets your vacation needs and budget than there is no reason to change or explore other lines. We too found that after quite a few years of cruising on mass marketed lines we wanted to try higher end, more adult oriented lines to see what all the hype was about. Loved them and now the bad is that we wouldn't be satisfied back peddling to some of the lines that we were once content with. Quality over quantity works best for us.