pampering in st. thomas

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 11:53 AM
steve

pampering in st. thomas

one last question before we sail on sunday. can anyone recommend a good resort on st. thomas at which we can be pampered. it is our final port and we have some pretty strenuous activities planned for the other stops. a beautiful beach with comfortable chairs for rent, a beachside restaurant and possibly a beachside bar would really be great. as beautiful as magen's bay sounds, we are thinking a little more tlc could be enjoyed at a hotel or resort. thanks

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 12:09 PM
cdt

I don't know their policies on chair rentals, but the best place is the Ritz Carlton; second best is Marriott Morningstar, which is much closer to the cruise ship dock and hence a shorter taxi ride.

Old Dec 3rd, 2002, 12:45 PM
Nancy

I second the vote for the Ritz Carlton. They have just finished or are about to finish a massive renovation, and may be happy to have day guests at this point. They have put in a new spa, and if you haven't already had treatments on board, you might consider a massage or other treatment. I am not totally sure you can make a booking without being a guest, but they are just re-opening this month so again may be happy for day visitors. Call or fax the hotel at 340-775-3333 (fax 340-77-4444)

Hope this is helpful

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 07:47 AM
steve

thanks for the great input. looks like the ritz is the way to go. in the interest of leaving no stone unturned, would you consider the doubletree sapphire or a spot at secret harbor? thanks again.

Old Dec 4th, 2002, 10:59 AM
cdt

Sapphire and Secret Harbour have very good beaches but aren't upscale resorts like the Ritz or Marriott.

I would pick Secret Harbour over Sapphire because the beach is more protected and less crowded. Both have snorkeling, which is slightly better at Sapphire in my opinion. Secret Harbour has a much better restaurant.

I do know that chairs can be rented at both of these locations.

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 04:49 AM
steve

fantastic input. thanks everyone. let's summarize: we are looking, in order of importance, for (1) a beautiful beach where (2) we can use comfortable beach chairs (3) the water is great (good snorkeling would be an added benefit but not a neccessity). we will want (4) a good (or great) outdoor dining spot readily accessible and (5) beach service for a possible afternoon cocktail or two. so far we have heard about the Ritz, the Marriot Morningstar, secret harbour beach resort and the doubletree sapphire. given the above stated objectives, which would you choose? is there another gem we haven't hit on that might work even better? thanks one final time.

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 06:03 AM
Peter

Steve - just a thought. Your interested in beautiful scenery, comfortable chairs in the sun, good food, drink service.... Hey, wait a minute. Isn't that what you get on a cruise ship? If thats all you want, just stay on board. Bathroom breaks are easier.

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 06:19 AM
cdt

Yeah, but the beach on the ship really sucks....

The bottom line to my previous posts is that I think Steve should contact the Ritz to see if they have "day passes" or other arrangements to rent chairs and use the facilities. If the answer is yes, I think it's the best choice overall.

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 06:20 AM
steve

interesting observation Peter. thanks. my wife (and i to a somewhat lesser degree)is an avowed sandy beach addict. almost nothing brings her more pleasure than parking it at a beach with the waves rythmically, hypnotically lapping up to shore.

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 09:00 PM
Larry

No mention of Magen's Bay??? There's not a prettier beach. My wife and I were married on the beach there four years ago. You may have to do your on pampering, but that's easily arranged. And as someone mentioned, you get the pampering on the boat.

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 09:35 AM
steve

thanks larry,
i hear magen's is gorgeous. my concern about magen's is two fold. we will be in port on saturday december 14th. i suspect, on a saturday, magen's will be crowded? secondly, you mention that pampering can be easily arranged. is there access to truly comfortable seating and some good food within walking distance of one another? we want our last day to be something special.

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 09:54 AM
KH

Speaking of going to the Ritz for the day, I have stayed there before and it is wonderful!! However, does anyone know if you can go there with a "daypass"? I would love to know bc we are going to St. Thomas on our Princess cruise in three weeks, and I would love to go there for the day instead of shopping in town (been there, done that, don't need jewelry). If anyone knows, please let me know! Thanks, KH

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 10:05 AM
cdt

The only restaurant at Magen's is really more of a "snack bar" with burgers, sandwiches, and salads. I think it's a very good snack bar, but it ain't fine dining. There's no place else within reasonable walking distance.

They rent beach chairs/chaises at Magen's. Don't know if they meet your definition of "truly comfortable." The bar is excellent. The beach waitresses are memorable.

I agree that Magen's is beautiful, but there's not much snorkeling there.

And yes, it might be crowded on a Saturday. Actually, it's usually crowded. Partly that's a function of how many cruise ships are in port (probably not too many on a Sat.) but there will be more St. Thomas residents at the park than on a weekday.