Hotel Recommendation in St. Thomas

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2003, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are going to St. Thomas. Do you recommend the Marriott Frenchman's Reef or Renaissance Grand Beach Resort? We are trying to use Marriott Reward Points. Does anyone know which is better hotel? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 31st, 2003, 03:05 AM

I love Mariott's Morningstar. Their grounds are adjacent to Frenchman's Reef and guests may use the facilities of both. I believe there is an additional $25/night charge for the upgrade. It is well worth it It is located on the beach. The rooms are lovely and have an 'islandy' quality. Private water taxi service is available for a lovely harbor ride directly into the heart of Charlotte Amalie's shopping district. Tavern on The Beach is an excelllent open air restaurant for dinner, and there is a wonderful deli with great sandwiches and snacks.Breakfast may be had at their beachfront restaurant or at the Reff's Windows for an oustanding spectacular view. Lunch pools ide at the Reef has an equally wonderful view. Meal plans are available, but you may want to leave some days open for dining at some other St. Thomas great restaurants. Many excursions are available from site based Adventure Charter.

For me, Morningstar is the most enjoyable St. Thomas Hotel. I like it even better than the Ritz.

I have had no experience with the Renaissance. Hope this helps.
Old May 31st, 2003, 10:59 AM

The best hotel in St. Thomas for using Marriott points is the Ritz Carlton. I personally would place Renaissance #2 and Frenchman's #3, however others will disagree, I'm sure. I don't like the location of Frenchman's
Old May 31st, 2003, 04:53 PM

Frenchman's Reef is a highrise and sits on the bluff overlooking the harbor and Charlotte Amalie. The beach is at the adjacent MorningStar which is my preference to the Reef. Grand Beach is on the East End away from the hussle and bussle of Charlotte Amalie and there are many good dining choices on East End. The Red Hook ferry, a 15 minute ride to St. John and runs hourly, is nearby and ferrys to the BVI can be boarded in Red Hook. Upgrading to the Ritz is a good move if you can do it.
Old Jun 2nd, 2003, 05:01 AM
cdt

Just to clarify, Frenchmen's Reef and Morningstar are separate resorts, although they are adjacent and share some facilities.

In my opinion the rank would be 1. Ritz. 2. Morningstar, then either Renaissance or Frenchman's.