St. John/St. Thomas Hotel Advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2005, 04:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to St. John first week of April with wife & 1 year old on FF miles. Booked Caneel Bay for 5 days beachfront. Original plan was to stay 3 nights at beginning of trip at Westin St. John. We want to spend 2-3 days poolside at a traditional resort like Westin than experience bliss at Caneel beachside. Problem is Westin cost is $780 per night that week. Since we're going to be lounging by the pool anyway, considering staying at Marriott Frenchman Reef oceanview for 2.5 days at $420 a night and then to Caneel. Is this a big mistake? I know Westin is much better but price to spend time at the pool is extravagant. Thoughts? We could also just do 3 nights near the Caneel pool but it seems tiny and my wife wants to "resort" it for a couple days before getting to island mode. Thanks
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 04:42 AM
cdt

Doesn't sound like a mistake to me. And $780/night is ridiculous.

Another St. Thomas hotel in the same class as the Marriott is the Wyndham - usually all-inclusive, although that may now be optional.

This would also give you a chance to see some of the sights on St. Thomas - e.g. the historic buildings downtown, Magens Bay, Coki Beach, Drake's Seat.

Old Jul 6th, 2005, 04:10 PM

Well, if you're just going to be hanging around the resort anyway and it's only for 2.5 days... I wouldn't bother spending the extra dough. Marriott/Ritz/Wyndham all will serve your purposes.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 05:01 PM

was in st. thomas 2 weeks ago and had occasion to be at both sugar bay and frenchmans, and the ritz a couple yrs ago. sbay is nice and on the east end. (close to red hook ferry) nice pool with a water fall and bar, rest, and burger grill next to it. but it is very ai. hotel way up on hill.
frenchmans just has this nicer atmosphere. i could choose it solely based on their havana blue restaurant. i enjoyed one of my favorite meals ever there. definetly stay in the morningstar section. 2story island style buildings instead of the frenchmans section which is up on the hill and very hotelish. the pool is very nice but not exceptional. located a couple miles east of char. amalie
the ritz is very beautiful, very well ritzy. their pool is perhaps the nicest. not sure how much you will save here. ritz is near red hook too.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, of course my other temptation for roughly the same cost is to go to Little Dix Bay for the week, they have the pool and also the beach right there. Worried about getting there with a 1 year old though via ferry and less to do than St. John. Would end up being the same total cost.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 07:56 PM

Mind you, I love St. John so I would still encourage you to stick to your St. Thomas/St. John plan, but I have to say that you will be surprised at how resilient your kid is. If your child will be one in April, then you're a new daddy so it's no wonder you're nervous about the limitations for your child's travel. My daughter made her first trip to St. John at 6 months old and was fine on the ferry despite very bad wave action. I just held on tight to her. Virgin Gorda is a much greater haul, but I think they have small commuter flights aside from the ferry. Bottom line is, children are pretty resilient. I think you will be very happy with a decompression stop on St. Thomas and then onto the heaven that is St. John.