Search

St Thomas/ hotels

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St Thomas/ hotels

Planning November vacation for a week. We have kids that are ages 22-24 ...So we want something fairly close to some night life..it's our first time. Thanks!
Old May 15th, 2007, 12:35 PM

The nightlife is kind of here and there on St. Thomas. With kids that age, the resorts in the Red Hook area might be nice, or a larger resort like the Wyndham, the Ritz-Carlton or the Marriott. Also, being in Red Hook, it's a 20 minute ferry over to St. John for some nightlife in Cruz Bay. Last ferry back to St. Thomas is about 11 or 12.
Old May 15th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Can you suggest hotel near Red Hook? Is that where the Marriot is? Sorry...it's our first time..
Old May 15th, 2007, 12:54 PM

While most of the hotels on St. Thomas are on the east end (relatively close to Red Hook), the Marriott is not. It's actually on the other side of the island. The Ritz-Carlton, Wyndham Sugar Bay (an all-inclusive), Sapphire Beach Resort, and The Anchorage are probably the closest places.
Old May 15th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Have you stayed at any?
Old May 15th, 2007, 01:22 PM

I've stayed at Sapphire Beach Resort, and it went through a very difficult period but is, reportedly, back on track. I've also stayed at the Wyndham Sugar Bay, and it's a nice resort on a very mediocre beachfront, but the food options are somewhat limited.

The Ritz-Carlton is the best resort on St. Thomas.
Old May 15th, 2007, 01:26 PM

hi, did not stay at ritz or sugar bay. stayed at secret harbour - condo style with pretty quiet atmosphere. we ate at the ritz and walked around their property. it is very beautiful. infinity pool with great view.
spent quite a bit of time at sugar bay as we were on island for a wedding and the family stayed there. i liked their pool area. waterfall, pool table, grill with burgers, etc next to pool. also full bar and sit down restaurant by pool. pool is directly behind beach. tennis courts. slot machines in the hotel. nice property. beach has snorkeling off the right side. my biggest objection was the day ppl from cruise ships coming in sometimes. don't know if this is still allowed.
marriott is quite close to the main town of charlotte amalie. there are several bars in town that the "kids" might enjoy. green lantern is one i think. if you choose marriott be sure to book into their morning star section, as it is much closer to their beach and smaller more carib style building as opposed to standard hotel building. havana blue one of their restaurants is imho the best on island. perfect for a romantic dinner one night without the kids.
bottom line is that from any hotel they will need to taxi to entertainment unless they party at your hotel, in which case i'd pick sugar bay.
Old May 16th, 2007, 10:23 AM

We stayed at Wyndham Sugar Bay when we were in St Thomas with friends. Very comfortable rooms with very nice balconies. It is an AI, and we felt very much at home. They have a nightclub with something going on every night. The staff welcomed us warmly and were very gracious. The hotel features a very nice pool area. The staff was very attentive in the restaurants. There were activities and every moment we had there was perfect. Additionally, we went to Duffy's one night, which was about a five minute cab ride away. That's alwasy a fun option for some nightlife.