Ncl mistreats disabled

Aug 11th, 2018, 09:00 PM
Original Poster

Ncl mistreats disabled

We were excited about going on the epic on January 12, 2019 for 11 day cruise. We requested a waterproof protector be put on the mattress since my wife has incontinence problems. We were told that we need to bring your own mattress waterproof protector. We travel a lot, have been on cruises and in many hotels, and never had a cruise line or hotel tell us they won’t be able to protect the mattress. We actually were doing it for their sake. We bring canvas and a wet phad to give the protection but sometimes they don’t work. I’ve never seen a cruise line done not understand the need to protect her mattress in case of an accident.

Then the more troublesome information was given to us that the crew would not help us get off at ports of call. In another words if there was a steep ramp which is often the case, I would have to back my wife down the ramp myself they would not assist. They only assist with and embarking and disembarking. Having been on many cruises with Celebrity, royal caribbean, and Princess I I was really surprised at NCL‘s approach to this situation. On these other cruise lines my wife was assisted all the way down the ramp to the ground. I had a travel agent call and see if this was accurate. And I also spoke with them. They confirmed that they would not assist at ports of call down the ramp to the ground or up the ramp from the ground.

In order to go on accessible shore excursions, we need to use our collapsible wheelchair. I am 73 and in good health, but based on our previous cruise experiences, I would not be able to back my wife down a steep ramp, nor pushing her up such a ramp, that means at many ports we would not be able to get off the ship and go on a shore excursion. so if you’re planning to go on an NCL cruise and have limited mobility, and your caretaker partner doesn’t have the ability to back you down the ramp or push you up the ramp, you need to reconsider and choose another cruise line that is more accommodating to the handicapped.
We canceled the cruise and got our small deposit back. If you know anyone who is handicapped warn them about this situation.

Last edited by rone1701; Aug 11th, 2018 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Fmistakes
Aug 12th, 2018, 07:57 AM

NCL = Norwegian Cruise Lines, right? Sorry about your wife's limitation.

When DH and I took our first cruise in the 1980s, if the port was too small for the ship, we had to climb down a ladder into a small boat (tender). There were several folks who simply couldn't get down the ladder so stayed aboard ship. Also, in Athens, there were folks who were unable to walk up the path to the Parthenon.

Things are certainly easier these days but I guess not all organizations can or will accommodate everyone. It behooves the traveler to find out these things beforehand. I am surprised that no one would help you with the wheelchair though.

Thanks, and good luck, rone1701
Aug 12th, 2018, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Response

We cruise often, and have not run into this problem with other cruise lines. Our travel agent did not inform us ahead of time of this problem. I have several people who are very popular on YouTube looking into this and will expose this problem so that other people with limited mobility will be aware of the situation. That’s the main reason I posted my remarks. This November we’re set up to be on royal caribbean, And I don’t expect a similar problem since we’ve been on them before and there was no problem. I think NCL policy needs to be known certain people with limited mobility in a partner that cannot handle some of the steep ramps will avoid that cruise line.
Aug 13th, 2018, 03:05 AM

Thank you for the warning...my friend did get assistance at ports with Royal Caribbean..surprised to hear that NCL isn't doing this!
Sep 29th, 2018, 10:27 PM

Thanks for posting this , I am not sure the title is accurate , however I think it is very important information and should be mentioned to save others from booking with NCL if they have some disabilities .

Depending on tides etc , some ramps are too steep for some wheelchairs to be safely used by a lone “ pusher “
Sep 30th, 2018, 08:23 AM

Could the wheelchair on a steep ramp simply be a safety or liability issue? I would really not want to be responsible for getting anyone in a wheelchair up or down some ramps, especially beside water. Also, not saying your DW is, but a very heavy person in a wheelchair could require someone with super strength to navigate. Last Spring, we traveled to PR and then took a cruise with a friend in a wheel chair. We were on RCCL. Thank goodness they did help and we had help at airports. It would have been very difficult otherwise. Good to check everything out ahead of time. I had not thought about it and was very lucky to get so much help last minute. I won't take that chance again.
Oct 7th, 2018, 06:37 PM

I am surprised some cruise lines offer assistance with wheelchairs in ports, not just at embarkation and disembarkation. From what I heard from other passengers, they do not offer ramp or stairs assistance in ports of call, for this reason people in wheelchairs have to stay on-board if there is nobody traveling with them who is physically able to help.

I also saw the crew helping people in wheelchairs in ramps and steps, don't know if they do it just because they can, or if this was a cruise line policy, which I doubt.

Search this Thread